Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Winter Camp
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:55 pm 

Post Options Post by idmountaineer on 5 minutes ago
Finally got out this Winter. Between a full time job, a part time job and keeping the fire going at home I haven't had a lot of time but I got a chance this weekend.
Saturday my dog, Henry, and I made our way up to the Third Fork of Rock Creek. I was needing to get out so I could finish my AMM requirement of making a camp in all four seasons. I set up camp and then explored the surrounding country. Found some trails I'll have to explore come Summer. Also found some beaver ponds so I might have to come back and lay some traps.
As the day grew late I went back to camp and started a fire. I prepared supper and enjoyed greatly having warm food in my belly. With the daylight fading the cold grew bitter and I huddled closer to the fire. During much of the night I sat by the fire dozing for that was the only real heat I could acquire. Sometimes I would crawl into my buffalo robe with the dog and we both tried to keep each other warm. Needless to say it was a long night.
Daylight came none to soon and I rolled out of bed when the dog left me to go relieve himself. Breakfast was made and I raised camp and made my way backdown the mountain.
Come to find out the temps were down near zero down on the flatlands which meant it must have been in the negatives up on the Third Fork. Now I see why the old mountaineers tried to stay holed up in the Winter! Hurrah for mountain doin's!
For more pics go to my blog http://idmountaineer.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Winter Camp
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:53 pm 

Thanx for the report I.D.
Sounds like a good experience.

Creek