Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: WILLIAM F. SCHMALSLE, SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

WILLIAM F. SCHMALSLE, SCOUT

German born frontiersman hired by Lieutenant Frank Baldwin at Fort Dodge as a scout for the Miles’ expedition into the Panhandle of Texas. His slight build and short stature hardly suggested he would become a hero, but he was hired because he could shoot and ride. He was a scout with the Lyman wagon train. Schmalsle exhibited his courage, when, on September 10, 1874, he slipped out under the cover of darkness to ride seventy-five miles to Fort Supply for help. On November 8, 1874, Schmalsle spotted Grey Beard’s Cheyenne camp on McClellan Creek and reported to Baldwin who charged the camp and rescued the youngest Germaine sisters.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: WILLIAM F. SCHMALSLE, SCOUT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:51 pm 

William F. Schmalsle was my relative. My name is Ellen K. Compton. I am trying to find out where he hunted buffalo.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: WILLIAM F. SCHMALSLE, SCOUT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Ellen, I will see if I can find some information for you. Anyone else have any info please share it.

Shotgun

Report this post