Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Texas Hide Hunters 1870's
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Texas Hide Hunters 1870's
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 am 

Howdy!

On viewer's left: John Logan, center Emil Oberwetter, and right Douglas the dog.

Taken January or February or so, 1874, by George Robertson, photographer. Likely after passing through Buffalo Gap, about 18 miles south of modern Abilene, Texas after leaving from Austin.

Another in the series ahows a camp with hides, as well as buffalo tongues drying on racks.

Mick

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm 

Moby Mick wrote:
Howdy!

On viewer's left: John Logan, center Emil Oberwetter, and right Douglas the dog.

Taken January or February or so, 1874, by George Robertson, photographer. Likely after passing through Buffalo Gap, about 18 miles south of modern Abilene, Texas after leaving from Austin.

Another in the series ahows a camp with hides, as well as buffalo tongues drying on racks.

Mick

Thanks for the identifications. What's your documentation?

Hankbob

Lubbock, Texas

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:48 pm 

Howdy!

The original stereoscopic card images are in the Geoerge Robertson Collection, Texas State Library and Archive, Austin, TX).

They pop up here and there. One of the easist to find is, used to be.. Charles M. Robinson III's "The Buffalo Hunters," State House Press, Abilene, TX, 1995.

M

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:30 pm 

Moby Mick wrote:
Howdy!

The original stereoscopic card images are in the Geoerge Robertson Collection, Texas State Library and Archive, Austin, TX).

They pop up here and there. One of the easist to find is, used to be.. Charles M. Robinson III's "The Buffalo Hunters," State House Press, Abilene, TX, 1995.

M

They are also in Buffalo Guns and Barbed Wire, published by Texas Tech Press in 1991. It's a combination of two previously published works by frontier journalist Don Hampton Biggers from 1901 and 1902. The original images are worth the trip to Austin to see.

Lubbock, Texas

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 pm 

Can anyone tell what kind of rifle that is? At first I thought it was a Sharps carbine but now I'm not so sure it isn't a Spencer?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:15 pm 

Howdy!

It is a low resolution grainy copy of a copy of a... :)

What Ii think I "see," IMHO is a New Model 1869 Carbine, the civilian version with a longer 26 inch barrel judging by the proportions but not taking caliphers to the image to be sure. They came in .40-70, .45-70, and .50-70.

There is only on band, and the barrel is too long for the standard military carbine.

I give up! Arrrrgggg.

I have Photoshopped, and Photobucketed this image as an enalrgement eight (8) times, and it still appears here small!

M

Last edited by Moby Mick on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:22 pm 

Mick, I think it is a converted carbine fit with a "commercial carbine" length barrel. I have had several of them in my ancient past. One was marked "Freund & Bro" and was in 50 70. Another one in 40 70 SBN

I believe if you look up the "Boker Contract" you will find he wanted 26 inch carbine barrels on some of his conversions done by Sharps. I may be wrong, These "facts"?? are from memory ( for what my memory is anymore)

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:36 pm 

Howdy!

Ye be right.

It could be a converted percussion rifle or carbine, say a NM 1863 Rifle or NM 1863 Carbine as well. The image is just to poor to dissect 100%.

:(

M

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:52 pm 

it has a sling bar and ring

Report this post