Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Many Uses For Tobacco
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:54 pm 

Hello, everyone. Haven't been on here in a while & figured I'd share some potentially useful knowledge before I head to Europe. This is the uses for tobacco- if someone tells you that there's no medicinal uses for tobacco, you'll know better. Please read the whole thing, as there are some caveats. The ones I've used I'll label "CONFIRMED."

(1) Stops bleeding & infection when put into a wound. [CONFIRMED]
(2) Can be put in a cracked tooth to work against pain & infection. [NOT CONFIRMED- garlic works, clove oil works better]
(3) Can be put on a burn to work against pain & infection. [NOT CONFIRMED]
(4) Can be used as a bug repellent (smoke, soaked liquid, or scrubbed on). [CONFIRMED]
(5) Can be used to get rid of parasites- add the tobacco from 1-1 1/2 cigarettes into food (to avoid vomiting- can attest to that effect) & repeat in 48 hours if needed. [SEMI-CONFIRMED- didn't die from it, but also didn't have parasites]
(6) Smoke from a menthol works to alleviate congestion. [CONFIRMED- only smoke maybe a third of the cigarette or it'll backfire slightly]

CAUTION: The nicotine from tobacco can be a problem if too much is absorbed. This means if you soak a bunch of it & then rub it on a lot of your skin, it would be like an all-over nicotine patch & that might kill you. Any time there is a high amount of nicotine, be aware of the fact that it can be dangerous & can very easily slow you down through nausea & (believe it or not) temporary depression.
Mashing it into a wound is at your own risk (in truth though, you might die of a big wound more definitely & quickly than the tobacco), but small cuts are no problem. Might be prudent to use the pouches of chewing tobacco or snuss to do something like that, so you can extract the tobacco more easily. One could mix it in a bottle/canteen of water & pour it through a bullet hole.

Cayenne pepper works great as a substitute & possibly better. It's only half as painful as peroxide in my experience (speaking of which: I hear you're actually supposed to wash peroxide off after using, since it can do damage).

And here's some non-medicinals:

Improvised weapon- smoke blown, item flicked, coal used to "stab" (likely at the eyes- if someone pushed you that far...). This one is somewhat confirmed in that I've gotten smoke in my eyes & it left kind of a lasting "coat" that was problematic, I've experienced burns by cigarettes, and the eye isn't that durable. Brutal, but it's not meant as a formal greeting. It can be helpful to take some quick, deep drags to get the coal long & hot.

Improvised signaling. It IS bright at times, but I've never used it to signal.

Fire-starting. If you get it lit, it would work as any other coal. A trick is to use a pipe to start things up: stuff it with whatever tinder, light it with a magnifying glass that you can now get more angles on it with, and then you can blow into it as well as carry it without burning your hand. It's worth mentioning that you can climb with this in your mouth or even a pocket temporarily.

Fuse. Don't know when you'd need this, but it CAN be used as something of a fuse if you find that handy. The thing is, it seems a lot of cigarettes are somehow designed to go out if they aren't being blown/sucked into after a certain amount of time. Kind of goes with fire-starting, but could be used for any number of "MacGyver" tricks.

Well, what do you guys think? Any surprises?

Post subject: Re: The Many Uses For Tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:13 am 

Thank ya Wolfeye.....couple I had't heard of

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 am 

Howdy!

Tobacco, leaf or plug, "dissolved" (left to soak) in turpentine makes for a nice looking gun stock stain.

m

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:41 pm 

Grandmother Bennett always had a jar of snuff around for ant bite ........and we Bennett cousins were always playing in Texas Red Ant piles....torturing grasshoppers, catching Horny Toads to help them feast on ants......blowing up their holes with Black Cats.....or dousing in gasoline and setting on fire.....only set me leg on fire once. in any case Grandmother "Ester" was always there with tobacco juice to "suck the poison" out or otherwise bandage our adventure wounds.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett