Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Question for Mick!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:08 pm 

Mick....after the introduction of the Schofield, how long did it take before the "half flap" combo holster appear.....1881 is the earliest I have found....but was there trial period holsters after '75?

Doug

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Question for Mick!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 pm 

Howdy!

Complicated... :)

Pattern of 1875, about two years after the recommendation of the Schofield which the Ordnance Dept called the Model 1873. When the Schofield was approved in September, a Pattern 1874 half flap came out for it.

The P1875 was half flapped, but had a single stud hole and a wider body for the Schofield, and a funky flap with a tab extension sewn and riveted on. P1875's were made into June 1878 when the P1878 came out.

The P1878 was bumped by the P1881 Type I with the two hole system. The Type II came out in 1883with a wider loop to accommodate the wider 'Cavalry" or Whittlemore pattern belt.

A third version came out in 1885, called by collectors/historians the "Model 1885" with a wider yet loop to fit over the empty woven belt.

Yeah, empty belt. So they did a P1881 Type Iv with a wider yet loop.

There were a bunch of experimentals tried between 1880 and 1895, like the Fechet, Foryth, Ropes, and Gaston.

m

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:11 am 

I knew "Mr. Wizard" would know!....Thanks....and now

So....My old persona of a Capt of 9th Cav doing an 1878/79 era impression, was/is lame with a "two hole Type 1 " is too late...i.e. lame. Does anyone make the P1878?...or would that even be correct?.......I guess I'd have to find out if the Civil War model full flap I have will work.......@#$%!!?@

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:42 pm 

Howdy!

Sorry to be slow. I was out at the "S.S. Arabia" museum in Kansas City- a mini Wal-Mart circa 1856. And visiting my daughter in Arkansas for Easter.

I do not know of anyone who makes a P1878 holster. I used a P1881 Type 1 made by the late Frank Burgess for my 1885/86 Apache Wars daze. Odd, my "Apache" phase is the only era I do not have pictures of. :(

m

Report this post