Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The Revenant
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:30 pm 

Howdy!

I do not recommend movies as everyone likes something different. I am sneaking it in, as it is 1823. ;) :)

I saw "The Revenant' Friday. It is "based" on Hugh Glass, and is a remake of "Man in the Wilderness" with Richard Harris.

I liked it. Excellent. Not perfect. But a good story and extremely well photographed (ambient light only, no electric lights) in winter. It can be slow and ponderous, much like teh history of it though.
Clothing, props, weapons are really good (mostly 2nd and 3rd Model Besses but some 3rd Models have fusil-fin side plates added. A few M1806 pistols.) A few goofs.. Captain Henry has Civil War buttons on his coat. In one scene the frizzen is open on DiCaprio's rifle. In another scene it looks like he shoots his pistol twice in a three seconds without reloading. The moon changes phases in a scene. DiCaprio's hair is a mess, then camera switches and when it comes back it is neatly combed and parted.

I have not figured out, other than Computer Graphics and FX, the bear attack yet. I could not tell.

Since the landscape or environment is almost a character in the movie, it will be better seen on a large movie theatre screen than a small TV or PC monitor.

Again NOT recommending it, just "sayin.' It reminded me of some 'demanding'; longhunter scouts I have been on, and I was almost getting cold and wet watching it.

:)

m

Report this post

Post subject: Re: The Revenant
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:18 pm 

Thanks for that Mick......I was waiting for someone of your caliber to comment on it.......and on your "Not recommending it" I may go see it...............heck I got some free tickets anyhow! :D

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:05 pm 

How d' ye!

I received a few free movie tickets for my birthday. :)

m

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:19 pm 

Josh and I went to see it a couple of days ago. We enjoyed it very much. A tad bit long and the ending is a bit different from the telling I am familiar with.
Mick's observations are spot on.
IT NEEDS TO BE SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN.
I would watch it again but don't know that I will buy it.

Creek

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 pm 

Saw it today.....couldn't understand half the dialog......especially "Fitzgerald"...........loved the cinematography, loved the scenery.....didn't care for the computer generated stuff......wildlife etc.............I do apologize but I just can't get my head around the rewriting of such an amazing true life story......which was in real life far more astounding....horrific and heroic......but that's Hollywood. 8-)

Would I see it again.....probably not. I actually enjoyed Jeremiah Johnson more for the entertainment value. Was Revenant more "realistic"?.....I suppose you could argue it....except 90% didn't happen......I know...I know....just entertainment. :roll:

The movie was well done from a technical standpoint........but not a movie I'd buy and watch over and over............where's my copy of "Master and Commander"? :D

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with that opinion, Doug.

Ha! Master and Commander is one of the best!

I think the only old West equivalent to that movie is The Assassination of Jesse James.

I wish some one would do a movie of that quality about Wild Bill... :-/

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:52 pm 

Howdy!

It is too bad the next installment of "M & C" aka the sequel aka Part 2 was never done as it was supposed to have been. :(

"The Assassination..." bombed, IMHO because it was too factually historical and not in keeping with the Hollywood tradition genre.

m

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I imagine that's why, but at least it has a cult following. I hear Brad Pitt wanted it to be a shoot em up, and had trouble with the mindset of a drama, gangster movie style Western. Luckily for us, they did the truth justice. I could only find one flaw for sure. I'm not sure about the scene with **** and Wood's stepmother... But tensions were high between **** and Wood, and there was brief mention of it prior to them arriving at Wood's father's house, because Wood accused **** of holding out on some cash from the Blue Cut train robbery.

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:33 am 

I would agree with Moby Mick about the Revenant. Pretty good but I could do without the dream/vision sequences. I just read The Saga of Hugh Glass by John Meyers Meyers. I found that to be a short, an easy to read, and very well researched book about Hugh Glass. Factual account using all available sources to compile the true story; mariner, pirate, Pawnee, bear attack survivor, mountain man. Incredible life. Recommend it to get the complete picture of Hugh Glass since the end of the Revenant was nothing like the real story.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:07 am 

Back in the early 80's, I read a book.....Pirate, Pawnee, Mountain Man.....that was a good telling of the Hugh Glass saga.

Report this post