Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Revenant
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:15 pm 

Yes......I bought that one for my library back in the 70's during my "Steamboat Springs" days!...amazing story! Funny all the "artistic license" didn't improve on the story and seriously didn't make it more fantastic............... 8-) Perhaps it wasn't enough reason for a real life act of revenge that Fitzgerald and Bridger left him alone and took his rifle.......so they had to give him a adult Indian son to be murdered??? :? .............and that he made the entire 200 mile trip (crawling) to Ft Kiowa on his own without an Indian companion....... :roll:................or that it all actually happened out on plains...but maybe they couldn't find a suitable spot ;)
Of course then they couldn't have gotten the Kudos for cinematography and scenery. :lol:

I know...I know.... :o it was merely entertainment "based on a true story"......sorry....like my friend Lloyd Moler said "I can't watch movies like those anymore because I end up tearing it apart".....or if you're like me....family always leaves the room when I start up a historical video....and I honestly don't consider myself an expert..........don't know how some of you who truly are manage it! :D

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:56 pm 

That would the book I read. The full title is The Saga of Hugh Glass - Pirate, Pawnee, and Mountain Man by John Meyers Meyers. It was written in 1963 so there's very little "political correctness" to it - just the facts.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:03 pm 

A man loving a gun so much that revenge for its theft kept him alive. Hollywood can't show that in today's world. But I can understand Hugh's feelings - I am very attached to my Sharps rifles.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:24 pm 

Hugh knew first hand how serious it was for a "Man in the Wilderness" without a rifle..................

At least they changed his name! :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltyvk_TX_D4

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:46 pm 

Nice find on the gravesite pic Doug.
I understand buddy.....I hear a lot of " will you shutup and just watch the movie for entertainiment".

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:49 pm 

:lol:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:54 pm 

I enjoyed the scenery and the neat guns etc but the changing of history to such a extent really annoyed me. For pure entertainment, I reckon Jeremiah Johnson beats it hands down.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:38 am 

Reading through this thread again....may just pull out my copy of "Man in the Wilderness" and watch again.......sure brings back memories of my youth, buckskinning and hunting in the high country with my Leman!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:51 am 

You know, thinking back over all the crap Hollywood has put out in the last 40 years, I honestly can only name a handful of movies on my list of historical pieces that I enjoyed...........they may be getting technically better but telling an entertaining story has fallen by the way side.........

The Alamo (John Wayne)
Jeremiah Johnson
Glory
Tombstone
Last of the Mohicans
Braveheart
Master and Commander
Zulu
Monty Walsh (Selleck)

That's about it.......there is of course historical and technical issues with them all......but with the ones I listed, I at least wanted to see them again.......oh yea and "Quigley Down Under". Probably a good thing I'm in my 60's and ran out of fingers to count on..........doubt I'll have to take off a shoe to count many more! :lol:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:41 am 

I agree with your list but would have to include The Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven.

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next