Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The First Dragoon Expedition of 1834
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:43 pm 

Besides the Texas Independence, most folks think that the only thing going on history wise in the west during the 1830's was the height of the fur trade...........

The First Dragoon Expedition of 1834 (also called the Dodge-Leavenworth Expedition) was an exploratory mission of the United States Army into the southwestern Great Plains the United States. It was the first official contact between the American government and the Southern Plains Indians.

The United States Dragoon Regiment left Fort Gibson, Indian territory, on 20 June 1834, under the command of General Henry Leavenworth. The difficult terrain of the Cross Timbers region together with summer heat, sickness, and death slowed the progress of the expedition; one hundred fifty of the five hundred men died on the march. The expedition stopped at Camp Leavenworth, where General Leavenworth, sick and injured from a buffalo hunt, sent the troops onward under the command of Colonel Henry Dodge. On 16 July 1834, the expedition left 75 sick men, including American traveling artist George Catlin, at Camp Comanche; Colonel Dodge and the rest of his men continued onward. General Leavenworth died on 21 July 1834.

On 21 July 1834, Colonel Dodge and the remaining men reached a Toyash Village of Wichita Indians at Devils Canyon. There, Dodge exchanged prisoners, traded, and secured peace treaties with several of the Plains tribes. The expedition returned to Fort Gibson on 15 August 1834.

In addition to Dodge, Leavenworth and Catlin, notable members of the expedition included:

Stephen W. Kearny, lieutenant colonel and second in command of the dragoons. Kearny led the conquest of California in the Mexican-American War, and died from yellow fever he contracted in Veracruz.
Richard B. Mason, major. Like Kearny, Mason was a one-time military governor of California, and in that capacity reported the gold discovery to president Polk in 1848.
Edwin Vose "Bull" Sumner, captain of Company B. Sumner later became a civil war commander, retiring with the rank of major general.
David Hunter, captain company D. Hunter became a civil war general, who promoted the idea of recruiting freed slaves as soldiers. He retired with the rank of major general.
Nathan Boone, captain company H. Boone was the youngest son of Daniel Boone and served with Dodge in the War of 1812.
Philip St. George Cooke, first lieutenant company G. Cooke became a civil war general, and wrote the army's first cavalry manual. He retired as a brevet major general.
Jefferson Davis, first lieutenant company F. Davis became secretary of war, and later was president of the Confederate States of America.
John Burgwin, second lieutenant company B. He died at the Siege of Pueblo de Taos in 1847.
Enoch Steen, second lieutenant company D. Steen held a number of posts throughout the United States, mostly in the western parts. He was a lieutenant colonel in the 2nd United States Cavalry during the civil war.
Jesse Chisholm, guide and interpreter. Chisholm was the namesake of the famous Texas-Kansas cattle trail.
"Comanche Warriors with White Flag Receiving the Dragoons 1834" George Catlin

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

Post subject: Re: The First Dragoon Expedition of 1834
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:15 pm 

Mule Man,
Thanx for the great info.
I was not aware of any of that.
I have some catching up to do.

Creek

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:06 pm 

Doug,

Without spending hours digging through old posts......my pitiful memory is thinking that some of our european members, that posted a lot of their great "rendevous" pics were also doing some of the earlier plains personas.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:22 pm 

Could be....our European brethren often outclass our attempts by greater detail to period correctness.....maybe they will chime in.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:30 pm 

Mule Man,
The Expedition of 1834 and many others you mentioned including Capt. Stansbury's Expedition 1849 and the Cheyennes and Horse Soldiers Expedition of 1857 all are subjects that are near and dear to me. Thanks for the information!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:14 pm 

halfmoon

I "did" 1rst Dragoons in the 80's ................Bent's Fort La Junta Colorado, Ft Marcy in Santa Fe and Philmont Scout Ranch at Kit Carson's Hacienda...............probably the best living history I ever experienced.

Doug

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:57 am 

Mule Man,

Have you ever seen one of these before, rare as hen's teeth. I've enjoyed researching and locating Dragoon camps and just about anything pre-Civil War.

Attachments:
IMG_20160706_243911540.jpg
IMG_20160706_243911540.jpg [ 147.07 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:38 am 

No!....I haven't. Very cool. Is this one you found? I had wanted to try and find the site for "Fort Massachusetts" which was just south of the Great Sand Dune National....before it was moved to the present day Ft Garland site.

Have you investigated the '33 Grimsley saddle? Read my posting on it and tell me what you think. I have a photo of an original saddle that may in fact be a '33.....I'll post it later.

Doug

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:57 pm 

Yes, this is one I dug a few years back. If you look closely the martingale has stimpled markings made out to be the number 19 between the 1 and D not sure why, maybe they assign numbers to horse equipment and their saddle. I have not investigated the '33 Grimsley saddle yet, I will certainly look over your post on that subject. There is a tremendous amount of information here on your website and I have to look at all of it, can't get enough of this and I'm really excited to have found your site. Over the years I've found many artifacts relating to the Dragoons. I've got the book written by Randy Steffen and his illustrations, outstanding book! I will look over your '33 Grimsley saddle post!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:23 pm 

Well...I wrote a long reply, but lost my internet connection......anyway...I suspect you're correct on the heart. #19 probably was a designated number for the tack but it may have also been the horse's designation......allowing that though the trooper may have named his persona mount, doubtful the Army did. To my knowledge no one makes a reproduction like the one you found.....too bad though .....to make it a period correct martingale for an enlisted man. I recently had a saddle made...haven't received it yet but had the choice of three different hearts for a martingale.....but I don't remember which one I chose.

I hope to get more information on the '33 and can find a maker...

Any idea the year of production?

Report this post