Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Site Changing Hands
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Mick you have all been great and I thank you all. I guess it is hard to let go of things you worked for but sometimes it is for the best. My suggestion would have been to add a living history/reenacting forum to the site and not disrupt the history that has already been posted. But I gave Doug the site so it is yours to run as you see fit. I will still post when I can and I have no hard feelings toward anyone. Thank you for being my friends you are all super good folks. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:38 pm 

Steve

I hadn't really understood what your concerns were until now.....and I sorta see it. My desire is to see greater participation.....with more humility than other boards I have been involved in. I personally have exercised greater self control as it pertains to controversy and will continue to do so. No one appreciate the efforts you have made here than myself. I am a bit frustrated that with 341 members there's not more discussion and contribution and thus why I started the thread that caused you the most concern. If everyone else is in favor, would you mind making your parting gift as administrator to set up a specific "living history/reenacting forum" to the site? Perhaps a second that would focus on reproduction "plunder"? It will take me a while with my poor computer communication skills to figure out the ends and outs of administrating.

For the handful of regulars on here I would also like for you guys like Mick has, to comment or make further suggestions. I may take a different view than some/most but in addition to coming to the "library" I also like the fellowship.......particularly as it pertains to the hobby. I suppose that's where I made my personal mistake was to intrude on forums that were intended as more for information than living history.

What little I have experienced as far as "Cowboy Action Shooting"....etc is there does seem to be little in the way of true history and thus I completely understand why Steve started this board. As a result I haven't seen any other "historical board" with as much primary source information and for myself I hope I am and will be able to continue to contribute as much "scholarly" stuff as I am able.

However, I also recognize that like "Face Book" if we can't somehow make this a place for overall discussion on a social level, we will see it go like so many others that have merely ceased due to lack of interest. The challenge is to do it in such a way is that the "flaming wars".....super egos, control freaks, political aggravations don't take over this board as they have in so many others.......I have made a commitment to behave myself and as admin I will hold everyone else to that same standard......not to control it but hopefully to pilot it with the wind and not against it. The handful who contribute the most at present ...i.e. Mick, Josh, Scary Creek, Greg.....(and anyone else my feeble mind has neglected) are exactly the kind of folks who need to be a part of this board and in my opinion make it a delight to participate.

Steve has provided a great library of primary source photo and written documentation.....perhaps all we need is to take our conversations about living history or hunting with period weapons to another room within this great library of Western Heritage.

Again Steve I apologize for the frustrations and honestly really wasn't aware what your concerns were, but as we go forward rather than just "doing my own thing" I will honor and respect your desires to the vision you birthed.

Doug
Mule Man

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Doug my friend I will see what I can come up with and will be glad to do it if I can. I am not that great with computers either.
I know we do not have many members but I never made it a requirement to become a member to use the board. I hope you and the good folks can make it grow. I will see what I can come up with over the weekend and run it by you all. It can always be deleted if it isn't what you want.

And I am not going away completely I would miss you all.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:38 pm 

Howdy!

It is a Michael Archer Heresy that...

"The greatest cause of anger, hostility, bad behavior, acting out, conflict, strife, flame wars, personal attacks, politics, and general crapola is not Standards.
Instead it is Failed Expectations."

Meaning a lad expects one thing. believes in it, seeks it out, thinks he is spending time/money/effort into it.. only to find it is something else that is different or contrary or opposite.

It is why a Farbs and Authentics do not mix. And why Authentics and Farbs do not mix. Not matter what the Period or Era.

History is history. It would be a simpler Life, and a better Hobby (in any reenacted or living history Period or Era) if History dictated Impressions not our Impressions dictate the History.

One of the worst on-line wars ever involved a lad in 1999 who was a Progressive but wanted to be authentic. And created a board for Authentics and those seeking or striving to become one.
Its name said so name said so in bold type.

He created a really tight ship not intended for newcomers or newbies, with many rules,, and rigorous if not severely if jot brutal enforcement complete with time-outs, suspensions,, and outright bannings. He created a moderating group or panel, and charged them with policing his vision and his creation.

Long Story Short. He was a Progressive at heart, and for some reason did not communicate his change-of-heart to the "
policemen' doing his bidding. When it came to a head, he turned his back on the moderators, and stabbed them in back allowing them to be made the villains and monsters.

My point is... please, no matter what it is.. communicate you vision and what you want to see happen. And give us the tools to help you achieve and maintain it in the way you, as "Ramrod" want to see it be. When we all.... owner,. admin(s), mod(s) old and new members can rally around the flag and as Capt. Pecard says...

Make it so.

As I already shared, I would suggest creating a Facebook page version of this here, which a link to this site to attract and bring in the lads who ride the trails of FB Land.
One board I frequent did that and increased visits, 'traffic,' by 300-400% a day.

m

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:58 pm 

Mick......can you do the face book page?..........

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:38 pm 

Steve.......
You have done a tremendous job here... and I thank you.
I have tried to stay with what I thought was good, but I guess I didn't quite fully understand/realize your vision.
The 2 additional groups, I believe, will be a way to resolve the problems and we can get back to sharing and learning.

Creek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:44 am 

I have recently found this site, and have enjoyed it very much. I'm slow on the uptake as to what the conflict is, so I will just state: Steve, many many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:55 am 

Howdy!

"Mick......can you do the face book page?.........."

May be. I will look into it.

FB sites used to be easy as long as one has a dedicated email address to register it under. But, in the past few months Face Book has been "cracking" down on sites where they suspect the page name is bogus and shutting them down.
That has been, is, creating a problem with man folks in general, and particularly with reenacting and living history folks who use, and are known by, hobby or persona names.

In some of those cases, FB is forcing pages/sites to reapply and redo themselves as groups or organizations which is different than personal ones. I will do some FB research on that.

As with some other boards. linking into the "Not Your Father's Old Board" world of Face Book has boosted membership and activity because many especially younger folks do not frequent or use boards at all any more.
The difference is that while the "instant communication' of FB is great for unit business and events.. folks are realizing that Face Book Speak, text-like short replies, and text-speak codes and short hand pretty much fails miserable when it comes to talking a
about:

1. History
2. Hobby Philosophy
3. Material Culture
4. Details and How-To's.

Txtspk is sooooo cool FLOMAO

-RU pstn 2nite?
-Yeah me 2 wot time?
-bout 8ish. mt u onln
-gr8. cu then K

m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:18 pm 

And He's bilingual! I only got an account because so many living history cottage industries have dropped web sites for FB..........but I didn't leave a profile and rarely speak to the three or four "friends"......which doesn't include my kids or grandkids.......if they want to communicate they can a. phone me.......b. send me an email....c. write me a hand written letter. 8-)

Mick if you can help out that would be great....if not....no worries.

Doug...who doesn't own a smart phone...doesn't text or take texts and expects a reasonable effort at real communication from friends and family......posse! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:28 pm 

Sarge....not so much conflict as just some minor misunderstanding and the aches and pains of transition.....all are still friends and we hope you'll join in and participate more in the various forums...

See that we have included a new "Living Historian" forum which will allow more emphasis on living history from 1830-1885. This will leave more purity to the various historical forums which focus on original material......more of a reference library especially for those wanting to improve upon their living history impressions and activities.