Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Rock Creek Stage Station
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 pm 

This is the Stricker stage stop near where I live in Southern Idaho. The first building was built in 1865, the one on the far left that you can only see the corner, and it's the only building in this image that still stands today. Not sure the date on this picture. The stage stop was built on the Oregon trail and was originally a part of the stage line for Ben Holladay.

The store as seen today. A little after our time period here on the forum, in 1910 my great-grandmother moved to southern Idaho and would buy supplies at this store.

Post subject: Re: Rock Creek Stage Station
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:57 pm 

Thanx for the pics ID.
Good story on your great grand mother.

Creek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:46 pm 

That's real neat. I would mind living there!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hey great pictures and post!! It's neat you still have the store where your great grandmother shopped

You can winter with the Crow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 am 

The thing that stuck out to me is that all the saddles have big Tapaderos.....wonder if that was an Idaho thing?......meaning you see different customs in various states..........these guys were probably all riding for the same brand.....ranch.

Great connection to your grandmother Matt! I have been to the spot where my grandfather was born and raised but the logs were all lying in a rubble.......probably nothing left of it now other than the springs.....maybe sometime Clair and I can make a drive down there to see your country. We've been talking about a road trip.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:22 pm 

From the reading I've done on my local history, yes the tapaderos were a thing around here along with single cinch rigs. I'm ytring to look and see if this picture proves the cinch thing true. Also of note the brims on most of the hats in this country were smaller than further south.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:32 pm 

For different reasons.....most all my rigs have been single cinched........but with breast collars and cruppers....I also try to put hooded stirrups on every saddle.......breast collars and cruppers keep the saddle in the middle of the animal...learned that years ago from a Wyoming outfitter that had exclusively draft and draft cross stock. Hooded stirrups just for the same reasons as taps....safety from getting foot stuck in stirrup. People still being drug to death!

Short brimmed hats were popular early in my cowboy days....particularly among rodeo types..........very different from today! 8-)

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett