Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Remington Rolling Block Pistol
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Remington Rolling Block Pistol and Shoshone Bead-Decorated Holster.

Post subject: Re: Remington Rolling Block Pistol
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:19 am 

Howdy!

A hold-over to the thinking that soldiers would waste expensive ammunition if they had repeating arms... :)

I have always been "intrigued" with the M1867 Remington pistol although I have a hard time understanding the conservative "stubbornness" of the military in thinking about a single shot pistol in an era of percussion revolvers (about to be replaced by metallic cartridge revolvers).
But then, they really did not go with repeating rifles either until 1892.

m

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:40 pm 

That thinking carried over for a long time after Mick..My understanding was that's why Hitler kept his troops in bolt actions in WW2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:07 pm 

Howdy!

True.

The German army is a bit tricky as while many armies used the machine gun to support their riflemen, the Germans evolved out of WWI using their riflemen to support their machine guns.
Around 1944 the Germans realized things did not work out as well and went to the first assault rifle concept (MP44 aka Stg 44) but by they it was too little, too late.

m

m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:13 pm 

Beecher Island battle verses Little Big Horn............can't help but wonder. Spencer repeaters vs single shot Springfields...can't help but wonder???? lots of Indians in both cases!

I know the "scouts" were better dug in, but their situation was ever bit as dire.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:43 pm 

Howdy!

Interesting...

Meaning what "concerted firepower" might have made for a difference IF Custer's portion of the 7th could have made a coordinated and unified advance down Custer Hill towards the upper ford. And not advanced almost a company level to the south and mostly west down the hill.

On the other hand, being ground up pretty much piecemeal, they did not get to use the "firepower" their Colts could have provided at close range.

But then again, Custer hoped to force the upper ford (incorrectly) thinking that Reno's battalion was sweeping through the village could have met him.

Don't look it up... ;) :) Popular history has Custer first advancing down Medicine Tail Coulee to the ford and being met by warriors rushing to meet him so he retreated UP Custer Hill and was wiped out in retreat not in advance.

The National Park Service invited me to speak my heresies at the Little Big Horn for the 105th Anniversary.

m