Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Another question for Mick or some other smart person!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm 

Army officers of the late Indian Wars often brought their own personal long arms on campaigns. Custer had his Remington rolling block...another relative carried an infantry model trapdoor in 50-70. There was a Sargent Ryan who carried his Sharps buffalo gun to the Little Big Horn........so beyond the above mentioned rifles, does anyone know any other rifles mentioned in documentation...especially in the 1870's?........General Crook road a mule and carried a double barrel shotgun. 8-)

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Another question for Mick or some other smart person!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:23 pm 

Howdy!

I know the 7th Cavalry best. :)

Major Marcus Reno had a nickel-plated M1873. Captain Tom Custer had a Model 1875 Officers Model trapdoor. Captain T. H. French had a Model 1870 (?) .50-70 Trapdoor Rifle he nicknamed "Long Tom." One of Custer's white scouts. IIRC Varnum or Charley Reynolds (?) had a M1866 Winchester rifle.

A Schofield was recovered after the battle, but it is not known who it belonged to.

m

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:34 pm 

Thanks Mick.......okay, what's your opinion of me carrying as an officer of 9th Cav carrying either a Sharps Business 45-70 or a '76 Winchester 45-60, doing a '78/79 impression?

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm 

Howdy!

Sure.

I would vote more for the Sharps, although both are possibilities. MY reasoning or thinking is a .45-70 shoots government ammo which is in easy supply and access.
However, one can counter that by looking at Custer and his Remington where its ammo is a private purchase/private ordered deal but yet he had cartridges. I guess since officers do not intend to shoot much, a box or three of shells could stretch a long way.

I used either a M1875 Officers' trapdoors, or for a little.. a Gemmer "trapdoor Hawken" in .45-70.

I do not have it handy, or remember where I put it.. :( but I had an article on some of the 7th Cavalry officers including Custer going on the "cheap" and buying "obsolete" M1868 or M1870 .50-70's on post for a long arm at.. IIRCC.. $12 or $14.

And for my Apache Wars stuff, I used a Remington M1875 in .45 Long Colt instead of the Colt or Schofield.

Officers had to buy their own uniforms and kit, as well as arms.. so much is possible. Plus they were also given a break and were allowed to buy and wear enlisted stuff for their own use.

m

Report this post