Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Texas Hide Hunters 1870's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:38 pm 

Yes I am quite familiar with the Robertson collection in the state library. I was not aware that the individuals were identified. That's why I was asking about documentation. What is the source for the IDs?

hankbob

Lubbock, Texas

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 pm 

These are some of the same guys that are in the photo in the Buffalo hunters at Wolf Springs thread a few threads down. I don't know where the ultimate documentation is but these guys are also identified on pg. 192 in the book "HUNTING THE AMERICAN WEST -The Pursuit of Big Game for Life, Profit, and Sport, 1800-1900" by Richard Rattenbury. The Wolf Springs photo is in there too.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 am 

antelope jack wrote:
These are some of the same guys that are in the photo in the Buffalo hunters at Wolf Springs thread a few threads down. I don't know where the ultimate documentation is but these guys are also identified on pg. 192 in the book "HUNTING THE AMERICAN WEST -The Pursuit of Big Game for Life, Profit, and Sport, 1800-1900" by Richard Rattenbury. The Wolf Springs photo is in there too.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that one. Richard is a friend and colleague of mine.

hankbob

Lubbock, Texas

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 am 

Howdy!

I don't know for sure. Charles Robinson III has the ID for the picture, and relates in his text the story of how Mabel Brooks of the Texas State Library found the Oliphant studio pictures looking through old photgraphs.
She took them to a local photogrpaher who printed them. From Oliphant's name on the box she tracked down info on him and found that he was still alive. She interviewed him about the details and backgorund of the photos and the hunt. Through Oliphant, they were able to learn of Emil Oberwetter who was the last survivor of the hunt.
Walter Webb, a Texas historian, contacted him and arranged for an interview who then got both the story and the ID's.

Which was a matter of great fortune and timing, as Oberwetter died shortly thereafter.

Another image from that hunt I really like is this one. Alas, it would be so nice to have a crisp, high resolution version to drink in and digest the details. Anyways Robinson did not list the names on this one, which makes me wonder if Webb got the ID's from Oberwetter as he had on the other or not. Or whether Robinson thought it important to put in. Or whether the editor of Robinson's book did not include it- which has happened to me a number of times.

Yes, it was... snowing.

M

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:25 am 

Moby Mick wrote:
Howdy!

I don't know for sure. Charles Robinson III has the ID for the picture, and relates in his text the story of how Mabel Brooks of the Texas State Library found the Oliphant studio pictures looking through old photgraphs.
She took them to a local photogrpaher who printed them. From Oliphant's name on the box she tracked down info on him and found that he was still alive. She interviewed him about the details and backgorund of the photos and the hunt. Through Oliphant, they were able to learn of Emil Oberwetter who was the last survivor of the hunt.
Walter Webb, a Texas historian, contacted him and arranged for an interview who then got both the story and the ID's.

Which was a matter of great fortune and timing, as Oberwetter died shortly thereafter.

M

W. P. Webb's papers are at the Briscoe Center for American History (the Barker Collection) at the University of Texas, Austin. They are well worth looking into, as they are a treasure trove of info. http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utcah/00 ... 00344.html

hankbob

Lubbock, Texas

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:58 pm 

Mick;
Thanks for the story that's interesting. I like looking at these old pictures, they don't lie and it's amazing the primitive conditions they lived in.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 pm 

Moby Mick wrote:
Howdy!

It is a low resolution grainy copy of a copy of a... :)

What Ii think I "see," IMHO is a New Model 1869 Carbine, the civilian version with a longer 26 inch barrel judging by the proportions but not taking caliphers to the image to be sure. They came in .40-70, .45-70, and .50-70.

There is only on band, and the barrel is too long for the standard military carbine.

I give up! Arrrrgggg.

I have Photoshopped, and Photobucketed this image as an enalrgement eight (8) times, and it still appears here small!

M

Here is a better copy. It's directly from the original at the Texas State Library. :D

Attachments:
Robertson3 (2).jpg
Robertson3 (2).jpg [ 161.12 KiB | Viewed 64 times ]

Lubbock, Texas
Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:05 pm 

I got in on this late.....I know there were a slew if variations after the war..as the military contracts failed. I retrofitted my Shiloh after an original I saw at the Denver gun show many years ago. The original had a heavy round barrel with a pewter nose and military patch box. It had a military patch box but did not have a bar and ring.....I assumed made from a Infantry model rather than a cav carbine????

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post