Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Cross Sticks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Cool HankBob! I need to revisit this project, get me some dowels and make me up a set!

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 pm 

Of course they were used.

All you have to do is to heft a 14# or 16# Sharps or Remington Rifle and you instantly realize there's no other practical way to shoot one of these rifles.

Attachments:
Sharps 50 1-11-08 (2-1).jpg
Sharps 50 1-11-08 (2-1).jpg [ 404.18 KiB | Viewed 1045 times ]
Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Good lookin rifle Grogan! Good idea gluing the leather pad onto the comb so the sight doesn't mar it

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:53 pm 

Howdy

I found a few references that may be of interest. This first one is from The Buffalo Harvest, by Frank Mayer (p.44):

"The use of rest sticks is forgotten now, but we runners [i.e. professional buffalo hunters] couldn't have operated without them. You see pictures of buffalo runners prone while shooting their game, but that would have been fatal to your chances. Let me tell you why. A heavy rifle fired so close to the ground reverberates amd causes more sound than one fired higher above it. So if you were prone while firing you would soon frighten your game away. We used rest sticks which put us about thirty inches above the ground: we either sat while we fired or fired from a kneeling position.

The sticks were a simple device; merely two pieces of hard wood, bolted together so as to provide a crotch in which you put the heavy barrel of your rifle. We didn't use sling straps which made you feel as if you were shooting from a straight-jacket, but merely rested the barrel, held the barrel and sticks steady with the left hand, which made shooting almost like using a bench rest."

Another very interesting quote refers to Indians using cross sticks. This is from "Uncle ****" Wootton, as dictated by himself to Howard L. Conrad (p. 429-430):

"...To shoot with any accuracy whatever, the Indian had to have "a rest" for his gun, and he was always slow about "taking a sight," while the mountain men all shot "off hand" and lost no time in "drawing a bead" on an enemy.

At hunting game with the rifle the Indians were no match for the white hunters. They were experts at finding the game, it is true, but anybody could do that in this country [Colorado and New Mexico] twenty years ago [the book was published 1890, and dictated to the writer in the late 1880s].

When the game was discovered, however, such as deer or bear for instance, the hunter had not, as a rule, much time to hunt up a tree or rock to rest his gun on before shooting. The game usually saw the hunter about as soon as the hunter saw the game, and was up and away if he was not quick in his movements. It was the habit of the Indian hunter, when using the rifle, to carry a couple of gun rods in his hand, and when he got ready to shoot at anything, down would go the rods on the ground in the form a the letter X. With one hand, the hunter held the rods together, and with the other he managed his gun, resting it between the two rods. Sometimes he would make a single rod answer the purpose, holding it with his hand in the same manner, but he never had sufficient confidence in himself as a marksman to risk a shot at game without some sort of a rest. That was when the Indians first commenced using rifles. Of late years, they have learned to use them to better advantage."

There are a couple of pretty well known photos dating to the Modoc War, showing a shirtless Warm Springs (probably Wasco) scout crouched behind some rocks, resting his Spencer on a single "gunstick," using that technique as described by Mr. Wootton. If you Google "Modoc War" or Warm Springs Indian Scouts" and look through the images, you'll probably find the ones I mean.

Another reference to Indians using crossed sticks is in Yellowstone Kelly: The Memoirs of Luther S. Kelly, edited by M.M. Quaife (p. 171):

"...They [Sioux Indians] were resting their guns on their crossed gunsticks and when we arrived within fifty yards some forty or fifty of them who had been concealed rose up and delivered their fire as we circled and returned the volley. The indifferent marksmanship of the Indians alone saved us."

I hope this adds to the discussion. It appears that the professional buffalo hunters used cross sticks bolted together, but their predecessors improvised with loose sticks. Either way, it sounds as if the sticks would be held with the off hand.

Thanks for reading,

Crooked River Bob

from The Antelope Wife

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent info Bob!! Thank you very much!! :-D

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 am 

I found one or possibly two more references. This is from Charles E. Hanson. Jr.'s book, The Hawken Rifle: Its Place in History, quoting one "W.H.R.," who wrote a letter published in the September 24, 1896 issue of Shooting & Fishing magazine:

"When desired Hawkins [Jacob and/or Samuel Hawken, gunmakers of St. Louis] furnished his customers with rest sticks -- two flat pieces of oak or hickory -- 30 to 36 inches long, pinned together in the center with a screw; they opened out in x shape and gave the hunter a capital rest whenever he desired it. This must have been what Ruxton -- who was an adventurous ex-officer of the English army who made a trip through some of our wildest territory about fifty years ago, and printed his adventures in a book called Ruxton's Life in the Far West -- must have meant." (from Charles E. Hanson. Jr., The Hawken Rifle: Its Place in History, p. 53)

I read Life in the Far West cover to cover many years ago. I don't remember the reference to crossed sticks, but this might be a good time to go back and re-read this old classic.

Best regards,

Crooked River Bob

from The Antelope Wife

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 am 

More great information Bob!

Thanks!

Doug

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 pm 

Thanx for the additional info Bob

Creek

Report this post