Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Fantasy Saddle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:22 pm 

Since the 70's I have wanted a saddle like this. My friend and saddle maker David Snellen made it for me as a gift. David is suffering from what the doctors have said is a terminal lung condition. Please lift David up before the throne of grace in prayer. This is he believes, his last saddle..........I am praying he will build many more and live to see his children grown and with families of their own.

I desired a "multi-era" saddle that I could also use as a everyday saddle. What we tried to create was one typical of Thorton Grimsley "Mexican" saddles he built in St Louis for the fur trade as well as the 1rst Regt. of Dragoons in 1833. I had David build it with a "mochilla" or the leather cover as was typical of commonly called "Sante Fe" saddles. I had one built by another company back in the mid-80's that I lost along with the dozen other saddles I owned, some period and some regular stock saddles and Aussie saddles......along with a half dozen pack saddles. Including my 1846 Grimsley I had, this is the finest one I have owned. David did an excellent job considering especially he is only able to work minutes at a time and on oxygen.
Here's a pic of the saddle with mochilla.
"Skeleton rigged"
Saddle Bags
Breast Collar
Headstall
Cinch and surcingle
Brass concho and stamp detail
Hooded stirrups or "tapadaros" were not common on American made saddles and much more likely to be found on Mexican or Californio saddles in the 20's and 30's...however I have spent too many miles in a saddle personally and know of too many accidents where a rider was drug after being thrown...........so in my fantasy, I own them...especially at my age and my previous injuries! :D

Also included was halter, lead strap, reins and crupper all in a size to fit a large framed mule!

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Last edited by Mule Man on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Saddle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:54 pm 

That is an amazing rig. Sorry to hear about your friend, will be praying for him.
My fantasy saddle is something along the lines of an 1870's '80's stock saddle.
Of course I'd also like something to fit the fur trade era as well, but alas it all only costs money :)