Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Bennie the Gentle Giant
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:22 pm 

Alas....I am a complete wimp! :oops: ..............already looking on line at mules for sale....here's Simon:
Here he is with current owner:
He's a high dollar animal and the owners are picky where he goes......so waiting for everything to be right! ;)

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:13 pm 

That's good Doug.......fine lookininn animal.
So how cantankerous are mules really ??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:53 pm 

As Les Lavenstein who got me into mules to start with said "a horse has a 1rst grade education and a mule has a 4th grade...." Now horse folks might disagree and I get it as I have lived with both, but a mule gets his smarts from the donkey side of his parentage. Their "reputation" for being stubborn come from their superior sense of self preservation......and as a rule won't do anything that will harm them....ie. you can ride a horse over a cliff while a mule will unload you to save himself......broad general remarks and of course there is always exceptions. My experience has been that "Mollies"..."females" are generally of a sweeter dispossession then "Johns"...."Gelded males"....more or less the opposite of horses.....where a horse mare can be a real headache and geldings more even tempered....again always exceptions to the rule, but that's been my experience.
"Roanie" my big blue roan John mule, would do what ever I asked him to do....but I would usually let him have his head in rough high country. Roanie was a "50 mile a day" mule.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:15 pm 

Thanx for the info Doug.
Fine lookinininnn mount in the pic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:10 am 

Howdy!

Last time I rode, it was an 18 hand Belgian up a small mountain in Alaska. Our guide wanted to "pose" us for a scenic picture at a stop about 3,000 above the valley floor and river. The peak next to us stood about 7,000.
He called us over to a cliff edge. Not a big one, but about 60-70 feet straight off the ledge. And wanted my wife and I to go to the edge and turn around to face the camera.

I was sitting there, thinking to myself... i do not know this horse. :) :) Obviously, our horses did fine. :)

I am reminded, if they still do them, of the donkey ride down the side of the Grand Canyon. NOT that I have been there or tried a mule I did not know.

Mules can't be all bad.. Festus favored "Ruth."

m

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 am 

Mick

we contracted an outfitter in Wyoming who's entire ridding stock were the same horses he used in the winter to pull hay sleds to feed elk in the feeding areas......so he had a 120 head of draft and draft cross horses. I rode one of the smaller animals....about 15 1/2 hands but probably 1600 lbs. They were all super gentile and moved along at what seemed a slow pace...but much longer stride. They moved over the difficult places...i.e. fallen trees and marshes much like a mule.....slow and easy without any panic........Why several years ago I bought "William and Mary".....great team of Percherons and super sweet dispositions. Sadly sold them when we moved too far from where we had them pastured.
William
Mary with Lucy from London riding.......first time on a horse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:30 am 

Also Mick.....last ride I did was in the Bitterroots...also on a borrowed Saddlebred paint horse. The guy who owned her didn't put shoes on her so she ended up with sore feet....thus wanting to walk on top of the edges of the trail where the dirt was rather than down in the bottom of the trail where it was rocking....often on the cliff side of the trial. Here's a photo of a ridge we rode down....parts where a good slip would tumble horse and rider down about 1,000'.
.............but the biggest problem was that the saddle was too small for the rider "me" and stirrups too small for my feet to fit in "safely"...so I rode with my toes stuck in the uphill side of the saddle, dangling my other foot on the downhill side.....just in case I needed to peel out before the tender footed mare went over the side......I confess a most miserable ride over the course of three days and 30 or so miles...........and I didn't catch a single trout!
notice I have the stirrups let all the way out to keep from getting hung up......but no way to post at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry to hear that Mick :-/

You can winter with the Crow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:30 pm 

Felt the pain in your words. Animal abuse is horrible. Glad you loved and cared for Bennie. I rode horses as a young man at Circle D ranch at Waimanalo,Hawaii. My close friends and I enjoyed our time spent with the horses.