Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: 56 caliber mold
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:14 pm 

Need a mold for my Thompson Center 56 caliber - any one have one to sell?
:?:

Post subject: Re: 56 caliber mold
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:02 pm 

Thompson/Center 56 cal ?????

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:20 pm 

Look up Larry Callahan molds.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:58 pm 

I believe Thompson Center recommended a .550" round ball for the .56 caliber smoothbore Renegade. I don't have any of Larry Callahan's moulds, but he has a sterling reputation and I believe he can cut a bag mould for a round ball in just about any diameter.

I do have a .550" roundball mould from Moose Moulds. It was not cheap, around $100.00 if I remember correctly, but it is very nicely made and you can't beat their service.

Track of the Wolf carries .550" cast roundballs, if you want to test them before you go to the expense of getting a mould. I have found I prefer more than .010" clearance or "windage" in my smoothbores, if the ball is patched, so you might like a smaller ball in the .56 Renegade.

On a historical note, you see occasional references to a "half ounce trade ball" in the literature (see Gooding's Trade Guns of the Hudson's Bay Company, Hamilton's Colonial Frontier Guns, and the Earl of Southesk's Saskatchewan and the Rocky Mountains). A true half ounce ball would run 32 to the pound, and would measure .526". However, from the reading I have been doing (see references above), it appears that the basic "trade ball" was actually .550", which is a true 28 gauge (28 balls to the pound). The writers of the period evidently "rounded off" a little in their estimation of ball weight or size. Typical smoothbore trade guns of the late 18th and 19th centuries (e.g. Northwest guns) usually had bore diameters of about .570" - .600", or in the neighborhood of 24 gauge. It would appear the Indians shot markedly undersized balls.

In any event, I hope you find what you need to get that Renegade shooting again. A 28 gauge shotgun brush will be a perfect fit for cleaning the bore, and if a .54 caliber jag does not give a tight enough fit, just use a thicker patch, or double up with thin patches. The difficulties you hear about keeping these guns shooting and maintained because of the unusual bore are greatly exaggerated.

Best regards,

Crooked River Bob

from The Antelope Wife