Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Colt Revolving Artillery Carbine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Colt Revolving Artillery Carbine - Extremely Scarce.

Post subject: Re: Colt Revolving Artillery Carbine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:25 pm 

Great find Steve.......obviously a later version of the "Paterson" revolving carbine issued to members of the 2nd Dragoons in 1839 in the Florida campaign .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Ring_Lever_rifles

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:48 pm 

Howdy!

The Colt M1855 Repeating Rifle aka (Colt-Root) is a strange beast because Colt seemed to have been unable to make up their minds on caliber (>40- .64 with .44, .50. and .56 being the most common. AND, barrel lengths in 24, 27, 31 5/16, and 37 1/2 inches.

The artillery carbine took a German Solingen made sabre bayonet had a straight 24 1/8 inch long blade. if anyone has ev er handled a saber bayoneted rifle, they are hideously awkward and clumsy to use and a curse for bayonet drill. :)

Just under 5500 were delivered to the government. While Berdan's Sharpshooters were waiting on Sharps to make their special NM1859 Sharps Rifles in 1862, they got M1855 Colt Rifles.

They were rather unpopular. If using non Colt factory ammo... and as they were used and worn... undersized cartridges and or ill fitting percussion caps saw numerous chain-fires. One Berdan wrote that after a target practice, one had chain-fired and they the man had to have the surgeon pick and dig lead splinters out of his forearm.

I almost bought one of the Italian repro's, but when released they were only the more 'civilian' .44. Almost immediately, teh chain fire thing popped up and Dixie Gun Works slashed the price then pulled them from sales. Later, when the fervor had run its course and died down, they re-released them.

The Italians did offer a .58 (close enough I guess for Italian work...) but by that time I was no longer "doing" a Berdan impression.

m

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 pm 

Mick

I forgot that Berdan's sharps shooter were issued originally the Colts.........I always thought it would be cool to do Berdan's sharps shooters......with a Sharps. Hank Kluin went to the Smithsonian and looked at an original uniform, took pictures and a paint pallet to try and match the color of this unissued, unfaded coat......then undertook the project of reproducing the black rubber buttons....his untimely death killed the project......I undertook Wilder's Lightening Brigade instead since I had a Spencer carbine and a good mule. :lol:

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:35 pm 

Howdy!

Sorry to be slow. I thought my server had died, but it was just the landscaper cutting the underground cable while digging!

A number of people have done both over time.

Me and a late pard contracted for a mill to run a bolt of specially woven "wool' of the proper lighter weight green. (It was not the "blanket" weight wool most all modern makers or sutlers use.)

But there have also been others. Especially in trying to dye the CW way, of overdyeing blue cloth yellow to make green. Some Berdan pards did as we had done, but theirs looked great until it came in contact with salt from sweat which turned its green... ORANGE!
Pieces of that run appeared on EBAY for years.

Me and my late pard also (once upon a time) experimented with button making. We took scale model-making casting materials to make molds using repro "Eagle 'I'" buttons but used tiny steel screw eyelets for the shafts and polymer acrylic resin tinted with black and brown dye powder for the castings to simulate the weight, feel, and look and gutta percha.
But we got lazy when someone came out with anodized brass ones that were blackish gray on the fronts. We used color matched modeling paints to paint the shiny brass back sides.

Many lads just painted the bright brass gloss or flat black. That was moderately okay until used, and friction wore the paint off teh raised relief eagle detail which then stood out in bright brass against the black.

m

:) :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:37 am 

Reminds me of early dragoon impressions where guys were taking Confederate carbines and making them into '47 Musketoons......or actually retrofitting McClellan saddles and making them "resemble" Grimsley.......tough in those days when there was very little reproduced items for Mexican War....don't know if it has changed much except I guess you can get Hall carbine parts from the Rifle Shop..............if I wasn't so old, I'd like to go back and make a '33 dragoon impression with proper '33 Grimsley, "Mexican tree" dragoon saddle......but alas. :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:41 pm 

Attached is size comparison for my Palmetto Colt Root's Revolving Sidehammer Carbine mdl.1855.,
Note bll. is 18" and frame is for the five shot 54cal. although this is cal.45 six shot. Jay Strite of Kirst conversions did the sight and sidebar 'slingring' from a Spencer's carbine.

As yet unfired but very "Beefy" it's 8.5lb.weight compares with the Spencers own.

Sheepskin recoil pad covers squared off butt plate.

Note All four revolvers are cal.44/45 Top ASM 1873 Colt Army 7.5" bll. 44/40 with 1860 Army Grip and backstrap/trigger gd., 1860 Army Pietta. cal.44., Colt Root's replica 6shot, cal.45, Remington 1858 Pietta, 5.5" bll. cal. 44.

Top is IAB Sharps "Richardson" Confederate copy of 1859 Sharps carbine with brass bll. band and but plate. Cal.54 Percussion.

Video of orig. Root's Sidehammer dissassembly and details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYVaX4p_XlY

Attachments:
13256038_10208408190218258_7200405511393373171_n.jpg
13256038_10208408190218258_7200405511393373171_n.jpg [ 4.43 KiB | Viewed 1088 times ]
13728998_10208869090420475_8366792585305256936_n.jpg
13728998_10208869090420475_8366792585305256936_n.jpg [ 95.57 KiB | Viewed 1088 times ]
Colt's Revolving Carbine.jpg
Colt's Revolving Carbine.jpg [ 81.68 KiB | Viewed 1088 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:32 am 

Great that you joined us here....great photos and collection. Thanks!