Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: THEODORE ROOSEVELT’S SMITH & WESSON NEW MODEL NO. 3 REVOLVER
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:58 am 
Site Admin

THEODORE ROOSEVELT’S SMITH AND WESSON NEW MODEL NO. 3 REVOLVER: This revolver is attributed by Smith & Wesson factory records to future U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt. He most likely took delivery of this gun just prior to training his Rough Riders at San Antonio, Texas. This gun features "combat target" sights and is one of only three or four known to have been chambered for the .38 U.S.Service caliber cartridge (.38 Colt).

Post subject: Re: THEODORE ROOSEVELT’S SMITH & WESSON NEW MODEL NO. 3 REVO
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:55 am 

Great post Steve!

Interesting......every "picture" I have ever seen of Roosevelt in Cuba has him carrying the same "Artillery Model" Colt that the rest of the 1rst U.S. Volunteer Cavalry were issued.......but as an officer he could have carried what ever he privately purchased,
However, though he was gifted the S.W. revolver he chose to carry into battle an Colt 1895 Double Action Colt recovered from the capt's quarters of the USS Maine, sunken in Havana harbor by navy divers. "Roosevelt's Colt was serial number 16,334. In spite of being sunk once, helping win a future US President the Medal of Honor (awarded posthumously,2001), stolen twice and recovered twice over the past half century, Roosevelt's famous Model 1895 is still in existence and kept on display at his home at Sagamore Hill, New York."
Here's a photo of the actual revolver.
Here's a couple links regarding Roosevelt's 1895 Colt D.A.:
http://www.frfrogspad.com/colt1889.htm
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/colt-1895 ... riders.htm

Interestingly also this was the same model 1889/1895 D.A. revolvers that proved to be so dismal in the Philippian Insurrection. Remember the D.A. .38's were replaced with reissued 1873 SA revolvers that were taken out of storage, mounted with 5 1/2" barrels (Artillery model) replacing the standard cavalry 7 1/2" barrels. THe realization that .45 caliber was so much more effective than the new .38's inspired Johnathon Browning to develop the .45 acp semi-auto pistol.

I wonder why Uberti, though build's a S.W. #3 revolver in .38 didn't try and reproduce the Roosevelt model with engraving..........would be a pretty cool repro! :lol: ............yes I know the Uberti model isn't exactly correct but............. 8-)

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:23 pm 

:oops: A visit to Lloyd Moler's home this past Saturday brought a correct to my previous comments. One the barrels were shortened they were no longer referred to as "Artillery Models" but simply Cavalry revolvers.......I appreciate the correction! :D

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:47 am 

Nice posts Mule Man. Regarding the altered US Colts, I think you are saying that the shortened Cavalry revolvers are referred to as Artilleries.

Below is the Model 1895 Navy referenced in the Antique Arms ad you linked. I've grouped it with a better condition Model 1889 Navy Holster, a Navy Officer Belt and a Navy 38 cal Ammo Box with the two speed loaders.