Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:29 pm
Posts: 5322
Image

This powder flask belonged to William Clark Quantrill, who led guerilla raids against Union soldiers in Kansas and Missouri during the Civil War. The flask was used to hold gunpowder. It is approximately 8" x 3" (20.32 x 7.62 cm). Born in Canal Dover (now Dover), Ohio, Quantrill (1837-1865) became a schoolteacher. He went to Utah in 1858, where he made a living gambling. A year later he moved to Kansas, which was embroiled in a dispute between free-soil advocates and pro-slavery supporters. Quantrill worked as a schoolteacher until the Civil War erupted in 1861. He joined the Confederacy and began engaging in guerrilla-style raids against Union soldiers and free-soil supporters. On August 21, 1863 he led one of the most brutal attacks of the war. Quantrill and 450 of his raiders attacked Lawrence, Kansas, an anti-slavery stronghold, murdering 183 men and boys and setting fire to the city. In October, Quantrill attacked the force of Union General James Blunt, killing eighty of his soldiers. Quantrill then retreated to Texas. He was shot in 1865 near Taylorsville while attempting to lead a raid into Kentucky. Quantrill died in a military prison in June 1865.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:20 pm
Posts: 16
Steve wrote:
Image

This powder flask belonged to William Clark Quantrill, who led guerilla raids against Union soldiers in Kansas and Missouri during the Civil War. The flask was used to hold gunpowder. It is approximately 8" x 3" (20.32 x 7.62 cm). Born in Canal Dover (now Dover), Ohio, Quantrill (1837-1865) became a schoolteacher. He went to Utah in 1858, where he made a living gambling. A year later he moved to Kansas, which was embroiled in a dispute between free-soil advocates and pro-slavery supporters. Quantrill worked as a schoolteacher until the Civil War erupted in 1861. He joined the Confederacy and began engaging in guerrilla-style raids against Union soldiers and free-soil supporters. On August 21, 1863 he led one of the most brutal attacks of the war. Quantrill and 450 of his raiders attacked Lawrence, Kansas, an anti-slavery stronghold, murdering 183 men and boys and setting fire to the city. In October, Quantrill attacked the force of Union General James Blunt, killing eighty of his soldiers. Quantrill then retreated to Texas. He was shot in 1865 near Taylorsville while attempting to lead a raid into Kentucky. Quantrill died in a military prison in June 1865.


Now this is really interesting! I dug a side to a powder flask couple years back just like it, had no idea Quantrill had one! Awesome, thanks for sharing! This was dug in Kansas as well.
Image


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:14 am
Posts: 548
I have never seen a American flask with that design....and if I wasn't looking at two of them I would assume they were a European import....perhaps German. Which they still could be imports. Not really relevant to this posting......and though I have seen a bunch of them over the years, I'm far from an expert. I'm fascinated with the discovery. 8-)

_________________
Doug/Mule Man

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:20 pm
Posts: 16
This is a mid-19th century embossed zinc powder flask ca. 1850 which fits the time frame of Quantrill. But as we all know the Dragoon soldiers were patrolling the countryside as well. If you go my website kcsteve.wix.com/kcsteve you will see the video I made when I found this powder flask, I also found a D martingale from Co. D. Go to the Blog section and scroll down about 3/4 of the page and on the right side of page click on November 2013 (1) there you will see the video I made finding the powder flask about 5 minutes and 50 seconds into the video.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:14 am
Posts: 548
Bummer.....I'm at the hospital right now and the Wi-Fi won't allow me to log into your link.
Again, purely speculative on my part, but I would assume the flask issued to dragoons for their Dragoon revolvers would have been the typical "martial themed" flask normally issued to federal regulars. However officers normally supplied their own equipment. One might want to investigate the volunteer groups which might have been stationed during the era. I envy your discoveries......never had the opportunity to scratch around military sites.

_________________
Doug/Mule Man

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:20 pm
Posts: 16
Mule Man wrote:
Bummer.....I'm at the hospital right now and the Wi-Fi won't allow me to log into your link.
Again, purely speculative on my part, but I would assume the flask issued to dragoons for their Dragoon revolvers would have been the typical "martial themed" flask normally issued to federal regulars. However officers normally supplied their own equipment. One might want to investigate the volunteer groups which might have been stationed during the era. I envy your discoveries......never had the opportunity to scratch around military sites.


I'm sorry to hear your at the hospital, hope all is well. I couldn't agree with you more but many times I have found artifacts within a camp that defy logic and causes one to dig deeper for answers. I would be curious as to where Steve get his information about the picture of the powder flask belonging to Quantrill. This hits home and being that I'm from Kansas it carry's a special meaning.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:14 am
Posts: 548
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear your at the hospital, hope all is well. I couldn't agree with you more but many times I have found artifacts within a camp that defy logic and causes one to dig deeper for answers. I would be curious as to where Steve get his information about the picture of the powder flask belonging to Quantrill. This hits home and being that I'm from Kansas it carry's a special meaning.

Sorry...should have clarified........I'm at the hospital on Saturdays as my wife teaches child birth classes and I help her set up for the classes...........so thanks...but I'm okay! :lol:

Archeology can be speculative as you know and often difficult to unravel...."did the items occur in this spot at approximate the same time....or did they drop here over decades?"

I have a friend who has gambled his reputation on a dig under the "City of David" in Jerusalem and is facing huge opposition from a world wide Jewish and Christian communities over a book he wrote defending the concept that the second Jewish Temple was actually located in the City of David rather than the nearly two thousand year tradition that it was located on the Temple Mount. .

..............which brings me to a specific question in your own experience. Have you ever experienced where "tradition" concerning a location comes into contradiction with evidence found?............hope you understand my feeble attempt to ask the question.

_________________
Doug/Mule Man

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:20 pm
Posts: 16
Yes I have and I will share tomorrow with you about a small camp I found that made no sense at all. Most of my stuff does confirm what the books say but the problem I have sometimes is finding different layers of history in one spot, the area was actually that good of a spot it was used over and over repeatedly in some cases. You could actually have a small 1860's camp sitting right on top of an earlier 1830's camp and not even know it if your not careful.


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: This Powder Flask Belonged to William Clark Quantrill
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:14 am
Posts: 548
I was finally able to log onto your web site and I have to say I was really impressed. I thought that the jointed shoulder scales were for sergeants........could be wrong. The Mounted Riflemen's button is a particularly cool find.

I think you did find one camp on top of the other....there were some items I believe were later than the earlier dragoon....for instance I believe the full curb bits are a later version....but I would have to dig out my Steffen books to make sure.

_________________
Doug/Mule Man

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett


Report this post
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

suspicion-preferred