Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Sidekicks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 am 

So I grew up watching the old westerns and needless to say they shaped me into a lot of what and who I am today. While watching these good ole shows I realized I always wanted to be the sidekick. I never could identify with the hero of the story, he always shot straight and got the girl. I never could shoot straight and I didn't get any girls, until my wife came along of course.
No, the sidekick was who I wanted to be. Kinda goofy, not the brightest one around but where would our heros be if the faithful sidekick hadn't been around. And the most important thing, most of 'em had some sorta beard or mustache. I confess I wear a beard today because of old sidekicks like Gabby Hayes or Fuzzy Jones.
But my all time favorite, the one I've always wanted to be was Festus Haggen of Gunsmoke. That guy is awesome, not to mention Ken Curtis, aka Festus, was awesome being not only an actor but a singer with Sons of the Pioneers as well.
So what sidekick have you always wanted to be?

Working on my sidekick look while prospecting along Beaver Creek in central Idaho

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Sidekicks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting! I've never really looked at it that way. I guess you could say Rowdy Yates shot straight, and was pretty serious, but still seemed like Gil Favor's sidekick. I like him pretty well in Rawhide. I also like Vigo Mortenson as Everett Hitch opposite of Ed Harris in Appaloosa. Again, they don't seem quite to fit some of the sidekick criteria that you laid out though...

BTW, Ken Curtis as Festus was the only reason I would watch Gunsmoke. I couldn't stand James Arness

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:07 pm 

Rats!.....ya stole my persona! :shock: ...yep Ken Curtis was my favorite and the one I was most likely to identify with. I think he was also my grandfather's favorite as well....keeping mule men all in the family.

No doubt Matt....you are the real deal! :D

Doug

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 pm 

Did you ever see Festus draw ??......3 times as fast as Dillion

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:33 pm 

and a great tenor voice..........with the "Son's of the Pioneers"........part of the John Ford stable of actors. :D

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:12 am 

Ken Curtis was great! Brilliant in Gunsmoke and marvellous in The Searchers. "Haw, haw, haw...

Report this post