Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Jesse James, Wood Hite, etc...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:47 am 
Site Admin

So, if Bob shot Wood, and they buried him on the farm in secret (as illustrated in the Assassination of Jesse James movie) who spilled the beans? Did Bob admit to it after he had immunity? Did **** or Charlie spill the beans later? Did this information come out in court, an autobiography, or...? Where does this information come from?

You can winter with the Crow

Post subject: Re: Jesse James, Wood Hite, etc...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:33 am 

Interesting point, Josh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:01 pm 

Howdy!

Dunno, there is a "link" or connection missing in Popular History here I think.

I am thinking...

I suspect Martha Bolton who was there. But, there is a gap (in my knowledge) as to how it went from a secret, unmarked grave dug by the Fords (Liddil had been shot in the leg) to Ford and Liddil surrendering to Sheriff Timberlake for Hite's murder, on the condition that they would receive pardons and a reward.

The story does not add up. Who snitched? How did the law know? I see the pardon and reward as being for giving info on James and not on shooting Hite. :)

Ford claimed that he met with governor Crittenden who agreed to pardon Ford for the murder of Wood Hite if he would deliver Jesse James, dead or alive. Liddil must have confessed to sheriff Timberlake (but why?)
Ford shot James shortly after James heard of Liddil's confession of killing Hite. Ford claimed that he believed James would kill him after learning of the murder. After the death of James, Ford stood trial for Hite's murder and was found guilty, though he was later pardoned. Liddil was rearrested for the murder of Hite in 1891, but was later released and dying of heart failure three months later.

m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:19 pm 

Howdy!

Hmmmmm.

"Philadelphia Press," April 10, 1882:

m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:22 pm 

Howdy!

"Some say he died in early December 1881, while others report that he died in March of 1882.Some reports have Hite buried under two wagon loads of rock and a lot of dirt, others have it that he was in a shallow grave and some even claim his body was found in a well."

Some say...

The picture of the dead Jesse James is Wood Hite. :)

m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:36 pm 

Howdy!

https://books.google.com/books?id=fPMZA ... 82&f=false

m

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:42 pm 

Howdy!

"-1882 5 April – This is night before Jesse James was buried. The coroner receives a tip that Wood Hite body is buried on the grounds of the old Harbison farm that Bob Ford, Charley Ford, and their sister, Martha Ford Bolton, rent."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Mick!

I've heard that the bearded photograph of the deceased Jesse was Wood Hite. If that's so, then who's the body in Wood's grave? A drover they killed for the switcheroo? Did Jesse grow that beard while living in St Joseph? Previous pictures show him with much smaller, and lighter colored facial hair styles... As to Liddle and the Fords, what did **** actually confess to? Has anyone read that newspaper article that Bob tried to hide from Jesse before breakfast? Do we still have those court documents? The only glaring mistake in the movie is that it portrays Bob as being young and innocent, with Bluecut being his first robbery. In actuality, Bob had been involved with petty crimes and a few stage hold ups before joining the James gang two years prior to Bluecut. Although, he mostly just held horses, guarded the stock, and was abused verbally by Jesse. I was always under the impression these are the crimes that Gov Crittendin pardoned him for, but again, I've never read any official paperwork on it, and just "assumed" (and we all know what happens when... Lol)

I didn't know about the re-arrest of **** Liddle, I would think double jeopardy laws would come into play

You can winter with the Crow