Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: My Favorite Books
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:17 pm 

Josh,
I bet I tried to read Russell's "Journal" a half dozen times in the 70's. In late 79 I took a job as a packer/guide for a hunting outfitter, and ended up spending 8 years riding the Slough Creek/Abundance Creek/Hell Roaring drainage's. My last year out, I picked up "Journal" again. I recognized many of the areas he had written about, as places I now knew very well, and trails I had ridden myself.
I couldn't put the book down after that......

.... and like you....I can't understand why he didn't die up there.....he sure should have....
Tom W.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! That's great Tom! :D I'm jealous of you fellers that can get out there and see and retrace their steps. Ive only been out west once, but it sure won't be the only time :)

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:29 pm 

Two excellent books:
The Saga of Hugh Glass; Pirate, Pawnee, and Mountain Man by John Myers Myers.

And Firearms of the American West (both volumes). These two volumes present an outstanding account of our western history told through personal accounts, journals, newspaper stories, company and gov't records, etc. but it all involves the evolution of the firearm through our history as a nation. Far from being just another disjointed account of the few iconic guns of the west, these two volumes are complete accounts of the various firearms tried, tested, and favored by the military and by civilians - plainsmen, trappers, gold rusher, and emigrants to the west. But it also explains WHY the guns were favored or not; why a smooth bore could be favored over a rifle, or why a breech loader was not as popular as a muzzle loader at times. And why they were found in one area and time but not in another - example: the mountain men would hang onto their flintlocks because if you lost your caps, you were done. But a plainsman might go for the percussion rifle ASAP because in the prairie winds it was hard to prime and ignite a flintlock.

I have been around guns all my life but these two volumes are the best books about history and about firearms I have ever read. And you can find them in good shape used online. (about $30 apiece)

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:06 am 

Great recommendations!

Thanks!

Doug

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hey fogman! Thanks for the heads up!

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:58 pm 

Tombstone - The Guns And Gear, Packing Iron, I See By Your Outfit, and, and....hell, there's just too many!

Report this post