Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Fred Gerard, Scout and Interpreter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Fred Gerard, Scout and Interpreter during 1876 Expedition, Dakota Territory.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Fred Gerard, Scout and Interpreter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:17 pm 

Steve!!!!...........those look an awful like "antler buttons" on his coat!....what do you think?? If they are...it would be the first time I have ever seen what I thought was a modern misconception.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

They do look like antler buttons Doug. I can't say positively though. I am going to try and bring them up for a better look.

Shotgun

Enlarged but still can't tell for sure.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:53 pm 

Nope! I was wrong......obviously bottle caps! :lol:

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:22 am 

Howdy!

They appear to be antler.

I can't tell if they are CRUSH or NEHI caps though. ;) :)

m

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:06 pm 

Hmmmmm......problem is that Dr.Pepper and root beer were invented and bottled about '85 and my experience is that Gerard would be the wrong ethnicity for Crush or Nehi.......course that is based on childhood observances, prejudices and stereotypes which was still 80-90 years after the fact. I hate to be a thread counter, but I believe further investigation is necessary. :lol:

Problem is we either have a pre-soft drink bottle cap....possibly a beer bottle cap.......oh wait new evidence has surfaced...."The crown cork (also known as a crown seal, crown cap or just a cap), the first form of bottle cap, was invented by William Painter in 1892 in Baltimore". Rats!!!!!....so we are back to either antler buttons or some other anomaly.........

isn't the research of living history fascinating! :P

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:19 pm 

the Germans and English both IIRC have long used antler buttons on outer wear - how far back I'm not sure, but at least in the 19th Century
FYI - Gerard died in 1913 at age 84 - he appears quite a bit younger than that in this image.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:57 pm 

Ah...the guru speaks......so why did I think that antler buttons were a buckskinner farbizm? Chuck....not that I want an excuse for wearing antler buttons...but do you have further photo evidence. Also can you or anyway explain the construction of the coat...i.e. what looks like fur edging???

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:50 pm 

Doug - I don't have any images right off hand that I can post and I'm headed to the Doc's for therapy (two shots in the belly - not bad though), but when I get back I'll check and see. May have to got my history of clothing books.
As for the coat I'd say it's buffalo with the hair left along the edge and perhaps a fur lined hood? Buffalo coats with hair on the edge and some times decorative strips left seem to have been popular with scouts during the era. Right off I can think of Bill Cody's coat and also Charles Stobie. I'll post pics of them later my image database is now upwards of 30K and one of these days I'll get it in some order - yah sure Olie! - I'm channeling those old Scandahoovians that I spent so much time with in the PNW. Olie jokes there are as popular amongst them as Boudreaux jokes are amongst my Cajun cousins.

Report this post