Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Col. Henry Dodge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:50 am 

After a few decades away from the fur trade era, I have decided to begin creating something different. When I left the whole buckskinng thing, I ventured into the Mexican War era. Initially putting together a U.S. Mounted Rifleman impression together, I then went on to do a 1rst Dragoon impression as soon as I could acquire an original Hall carbine, as there were no reproductions available back then. Probably the "golden years" for my reenacting, I spent a great deal of money to get a period correct/documented impression together. Fortunately I had the perfect "old school" cavalry mount and was able to get a '46 Grimsley Saddle built...although an earlier model would have been more correct for Dragoons, but then most guys who were mounted due to economics were retrofitting McClellan saddles...........anyway, I lost my Grimsley and have sold off most my dragoon uniform and equipment including my Hall carbine.

Recently though I discover this picture of a painting done by Catlin, while looking for examples of leather coats.......of "Major Henry Dodge" as he was attired leading the "U.S. Mounted Ranger Battalion". It appears from later Catlin paintings of the 1834 Dragoon expedition among the Comanches, that the now "Col Dodge" is wearing the same attire. Because Ia ma decade or so older than Dodge was at the time, rather trying to copy an exact likeness of Dodge, I though to closely approximate an impression.........Here the painting:
Here are a few articles of clothing gand equipment I have gathered so far:
Coat:
Hat and sword...Catlin shows Dodge with what appears to be an infantry officers sword and not a saber as I have, although he may have switched over to an officer's model 1832 saber by '34.....so I sorta split the difference:
Here's the gun I chose. Catlin shows what appears to be a fairly typical half stock plains rifle.....I don't think a "typical" Hawken due to the shape of the comb....but possibly an English sporting rifle. I found this nice Pedersoli Mortimer shotgun and decided to go with it. Practically, one might think that Dodge might have switched over to a smooth bore, because of ease to hit targets at close range and ease of loading.....as was the case with how dragoons were armed.
I have my old dragoon "brogans/Jefferson boots" which Dodge appears to be wearing. Mine are the smooth out version with a more fashionable look than the later versions most of us are familiar with. I also have a pair of mounted trousers in dark blue.
Of the items I don't have yet is a brace of pistols (probably 1805 HF models and holsters. At present since I don't have a proper mount, the saddle will have to wait.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Col. Henry Dodge
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:08 am 

Outfit looks good Mule. Nice wood on the shotgun.

Creek

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:15 am 

Scary....Thanks! ...............I had to decide between a rifled gun and the shotgun and decided in large part because of the tiger stripe on the stock!

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:41 pm 

Understand your choice........it would scare a lot of people as to how well a smooth bore can shoot a ball , if you do your homework.
Out of curiosity....how fast is a mule running as compared to a horse ??

Creek

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:59 pm 

Creek

I have had four very athletic mules..........three out of thoroughbred mares and one out of a King Ranch cull mare I used to own. The three thoroughbred mules were as fast or faster than the average horse. My mule Roanie was hitched up to a cutter by a friend of mine in Jackson Hole and said that the speed at which he pulled through the snow was scary. The main issue was that I never found a horse that could stay up with him in the high country. When I say "fast" I mean he never broke out of a walk going down a trail. Les Lavenstein the guy who owned him before me cover a 25 mile leg of a ride in 4 hours. I once covered 34 in 5 1/2 hours.

I had a breeder of "Rocky Mountain trail horses" which are supposed to be taking the endurance races by storm who had to admit that my mules were "the four wheel drive" of equine and that he was quite humbled that we past him on the trail after he had left us 30 minutes earlier from camp. Of course there is always someone out there who's got a faster trail horse or mule.....I just never met him/her.....but then I doubt I'll ever be able to replace Roanie either.

Here's a photo of him and I in the Bridger/Teton National. Forgive if I have shown this one before!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:40 pm 

Wow...Thanx for the great info Doug. I never had a clue.
Great pic.

Creek

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 pm 

Here's a professional mule race......but I have to say the mules are quite small in the 14-15 hands size rather than the big 15-16 1/2 hand mules I am used to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRL0yRWyhps

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:57 am 

You might enjoy this as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYQTDJUqXY

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:07 pm 

Thanx for the vids Mule..... very interesting.

Creek

Report this post