Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: New northern plains beaded warshirt (in progress)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:16 pm 

I wanted to post some pics of a new beaded plains style shirt that I'm working on. The hides are a German tanned hide and smoked. They're better than commercially tanned leather but not as good as brain tanned but it's pretty close. I made it in the old style using 2 full deer hides. The top 1/3rd of each hide is used for the two sleeves while the bottom 2/3rds of each hide makes the body of the shirt. For men's shirts the hides are positioned as if the animal is standing on it's hide legs therefore taking the natural shape of the hides and using that you have the front legs which hang below the sleeves and the hind legs hang from the bottom. Like they sometimes did, I had to create those on the bottom of the shirt and I may add them to the sleeves as well. This first picture is before I've done any cutting, just positioning the hides

The next picture is after I've got the top portion cut off each hide for the sleeves, the neck hole has been created and the shoulder seams are sewn. The sleeves are positioned where they're going to go and the beadwork has been positioned. This gives an idea how the hides go together and how the overall shape of the shirt will look.

The next picture is after the sleeves have been sewn to the shirt. The bottom hem as been cut and the appendages have been attached to form the "legs" of the animal. The beaded shoulder strips have also been attached and sewn to the shirt

The next picture is after the beaded strips going along the sleeves have also been attached and sewn to the shirt. The bottom and the sides of the shirt has been fringed and the front and back have been tied together with thongs. Older style shirts had almost the entire sides of the shirt unsewn and open to facilitate air movement to keep the warrior cool while wearing the shirt. The sleeves have been tied together with thongs as well. Traditionally the sleeves were open as well except the sleeve might be sewn from the cuff towards the elbow a few inches. That is what I'll end up doing as my next step is to work on the sleeves and getting that finished

I got some more work in this weekend. I finished up sewing the sleeves from the cuff towards the elbow a few inches and got the large flaps fringed as well. I have also attached the fringed bibs at the neck on the back and the front. The following picture is of the back of the shirt. I've got all the quilled hairlocks in place on the one side. I don't have enough locks to go along the shoulder strip on the front but I had enough for the back. I will get more locks to finish up the front. The quilled hairlocks are 100% human hair with red, yellow and white quills.

The following picture is of the front of the shirt. In a later picture you'll see where I ran out of hairlocks on the front along the shoulder strip. I also added on the front, two red ochre stained ermine hides to fill in some space at the top of the shoulder on the front.

The next picture is a close-up of the quilled hairlocks attached along the strips (back of shirt)

The next picture is a close-up of the ochre stained ermine hides at the top of the shoulder. In this picture you'll also see where I need to add the quilled locks after acquiring more

Later I'll post more pics as I get some more done. Next is attaching the quilled locks to the other side of the shirt and attach the two ochre stained ermine hides. I'll also have to get more quilled locks to finish the front shoulder strip and some for the fringed bibs at the neck

Post subject: Re: New northern plains beaded warshirt (in progress)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 pm 

That is neat. Please keep posting.
Shawnee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 pm 

Good looking job.

Creek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:45 pm 

Nice work your showing. Thanks KT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:23 am 
Site Admin

Very cool!! :)

You can winter with the Crow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:49 pm 

Finished shirt

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 282.37 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 270.73 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 266.27 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

That shines! It really is a work of art! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Shotgun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm 

whoa! nice work of art.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:38 am 

That is really nice.