Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: My Favorite Books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Ok y'all, what are your favorite books about western history? Lets get a good list going!

Mine are:

Stanley Vestal, "Jim Bridger, Mountain Man: A Biography"

Winfred Blevins, "Give Your Heart to the Hawks: A Tribute to the Mountain Men"

Francis Parkman, "The Oregon Trail"

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

Post subject: Re: My Favorite Books
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 pm 

Winfred Blevins, "Give Your Heart to the Hawks: A Tribute to the Mountain Men"........ditto! Should be required reading for every high school history student!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 pm 

Amen Brother......Give Your Heart is one of the classics. Don't forget "Crow Killer" by Thorpe and White. SCW

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

"Crow Killer" is awesome...but after reading "Avenging Fury of the Plains" it's kinda like the day you find out that Santa AND the Easter bunny are make believe, all rolled into one... :roll: :oops:

...I still love it though... :P

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

I'm reading Osbourne Russel's "Journal of a Trapper" and it's really good, but I'm trying to figure out how he didn't end up dieing up there in those mountains...

It's deffinitely a "Must Read" though!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:58 pm 

I like most of Elmer Keltons books,but particularly The Time it Never Rained and The Good Old Boys.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm 

We picked up a book " I See By Your Outfit" by Lindmier and Mount that Josh found. Historic cowboy gear of the northern plains. Many pics, good info on saddles, guns, knives , hats, clothes, boots, etc, etc. Lots of good overall info. SCW

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

I just got "I Buried Hickok, the Memiors of White Eye Anderson" in the mail. I'm still working on Osbourne Russel's book, so it may be a while before I get to it, but it looks to be promising. I was lucky enough to be able to find an autographed (by the editor) copy on Ebay for less than $50. If you guys find a copy at a good price, pick it up.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Right now I am reading "Bendigo Schafter" by Louis L'Amour. I have read it before, but it has been awhile.
It's pretty good but but some of his other books are better.

Steve

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:29 pm 

On the subject of the Mountain Man, I think "A Majority of Scoundrels" by Don Berry is my favorite of the northern fur trade.

For the Taos trade, I have always liked "Wah-to-yah and the Taos Trail" by Lewis H. Garrard.
This was my introduction to Bents Fort.

Western, I think my favorite was "The First Fast Draw" By Louis L'Amour. A work of fiction, but took place in Cass County, Texas. I had a cousin who passed away in 1974 at the age of 76 who claimed that the story was true, and he gave me a copy that he had footnoted with the proper names and events. But like L'Amour always said, when he wrote there was a spring in a place, you could ride there and find cool clear water bubbling up out of the ground.

Cowboy's,,, I think Zane Gray's "The Drift Fence" and "The Hash Knife Outfit" ranks right up there at the top.. 1933 was a very good year. My grandpa turned me on to Zane Gray and Luke Short.. He was an avid reader of cowboy novels. I think he was probably in his 40's when he learned to read (he was in his 60's when I was born) but by the time I was learning to read, he had a cowboy story going all the time. He had lived the life...
When I go southeast on Interstate 84 and cross the pass east of Pendleton, go through La Grande heading south towards Baker, Oregon, it is hard to concentrate on the road.. When you cross the Little Powder River and let your eyes gaze out across the valley, my mind disappears as in a Zane Gray book and today becomes only a foggy memory... I can see the herds of cattle, and expect to see the opposing cattle outfit riding up to burn out the nesters who are hoarding the water and good grass of the valley... Then I snap back into reality as the blaring airhorn of a semi pulling a 56 foot trailer lets me know that I am taking up two lanes and half the ditch...

Just for fun, I am putting together a story on my laptop, as I get the time. Perhaps, I will finish it before I meet my maker, but I don't really care, because I kinda enjoy writing it.

Report this post