Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Moniker?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:44 pm 

............or, where and why did you come up with the "handle, nickname or moniker" you use here on "Home of the Plainsman"? If you are on other boards and use a different name, go ahead give us your reasons........while we're sitting around the campfire here, might be fun!......may even get some of the lookie loos to join in......if you're using your given name "Christian name"....with some of you "What was your mother thinking"? :lol:

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Post subject: Re: Moniker?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:27 pm 

Good question Mule.

I have 10 acres in the next county...creek beside my property is Blue Lick Run....doesn't stir any images.
Thought the Creek Johnson name in Tombstone had a ring to it.
Creek on the other side of the ridge from me is Scary Creek..... has a certain ring to it.
Was a Civil War small battle about a half mile away.on the creek.
Aha.....cool name.... I'll take it.

Creek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 pm 

Perfect! :D...besides "Mr. Wilson" was already taken in Dennis the Menace! :lol:

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

The very first forum I ever registered to post on was very academic and required you to sign up with your real name for research and documentation sake, so I just started using my name on every forum, and this way I didn't have to remember moniker and pass word combinations from board to board...

That and dad took the good moniker...

:-p

You can winter with the Crow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:40 pm 

So "Josh" is short for Joshua?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:28 am 

Seen Jeremiah Johnson? Then you will know where my name comes from.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:25 am 

Yes.....Hatchet Jack.............the dead guy. :lol: I was trying to remember more about Hatchet Jack from "Crow Killer"....but it's in storage. Great scene in the movie. The "Hawken" rifle used in the movie (one of them anyway) was a gun owned by "Papa Bear" Bob Whitmore. He was one of the top 5 survival instructors in the country and who did a class for our "Shining Times" high school youth ministry back in the early 80's. I also knew the fellow who wrote the original theme song for Jeremiah Johnson, but was rejected for the one they eventually used. John was a paraplegic who would sit in his wheel chair around a campfire and play his guitar and sing from dusk to dawn at Brown's Hole rendezvous.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 am 

My own is obvious in that I am pretty solidly a "mule man" first in regards to equine. I have own many horses including most recently a pair of Percherons, but mules remain my first choice when riding.........Cadillac of smooth rides! :D
On another board I use "Lighthorseman" comes from a men's trail ride ministry I had for about 15 years called...wait for it....."Light Horsemen Ministries" ...........the original idea for me was taken from the Australian movie 'The Light Horseman" about the Australian "Light Horse Regt" in WWI. a famous mounted infantry unit. The ministry scripture reference was "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

On the board I have been a member of longest I use my first two initials and last name "WD Bennett" although on that forum I am likely known by many other names, most of which can't be spoken in polite company! 8-)

I remembered on another board I go by "Leatherstocking".....cause I am a big fan of James Finimore Cooper and his "Leatherstocking Tales".......Nathanial Bumpo becomes "Leatherstocking" in his senior years.

Last edited by Mule Man on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:09 pm 

Interesting stuff. When I first got involved 40 years ago now, I was heavily into fast draw. One day I walked into the club with my poncho on and instantly became 'Poncho', of Ponch to my friends. This morphed into Joe Poncho. Old, old friends still call me that. Then I got into the history of Jack Vemillion and portrayed him for a while. Many call me that too. Hatchet Jack came about because of my later mountain man interest. So, there you go.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:01 pm 

Great Jack............honestly no one else ever gave me a nick name that stuck. :oops: ....well except again those that are not said in polite society. :lol: