Luther H. North was born in Richland County, Ohio, in 1846. In 1856 the family moved to Omaha to join their father and oldest brother who had settled near Omaha and were clearing timber on contract. In 1857 his father froze to death while surveying on the Big Papillion Creek, and the Norths moved to Columbus in 1858. There, Luther carried mail from Columbus to Monroe until the Spring of 1860. His brother Frank went to the Pawnee Agency as an interpreter and clerk, and Luther spent 1861 hauling logs to the agency sawmill. In 1862 Luther enlisted in the 2nd Nebraska Cavalry, newly organized under Robert Furnas to fight the increasingly hostile Sioux, and in Spring of 1863, they made their first campaign which was marked by the battle of White Stone Hills. The 2nd Nebraska was mustered out in December, and Luther farmed the Columbus homestead until 1866 when he joined his brother's Pawnee Scouts. When the Scouts were re-organized in 1867 he was commissioned a Captain, and they patrolled the Union Pacific railroad through 1868. Luther was out of Scouts from time to time, clerking at the agency and guiding trail herds. In 1871 he became one of the first three County Commissioners of Howard County, Nebraska. Luther was with the Scouts when they were mustered out for the last time in 1876 after General Crook's campaign. He then went into partnership with his brother Frank, and William F. Cody at Dismal River Ranch. After sale of the ranch in 1882 he served as Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue, staying in the Black Hills until 1890. He then lived in Omaha until 1898 when he married Mrs. Elvira Sprague Coolidge, and they stayed there until 1917. They returned to Columbus, living in semi-retirement until his death in April 1935.