Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Early Buffalo Hunter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome shot of an early Buffalo Hunter posing with his 1874 Sharps with double set Triggers. Notice the massive cartridges in his belt which allowed long range shots with deadly precision. His outfit consists of a great 1870s hat, Bib front shirt and pants tucked inside his boots which was common for the period.

- Link Borland Collection -

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Early Buffalo Hunter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 pm 

why is he considered an "early buffalo hunter?" Is 1874 considered early in the buff hunting era? In looking at the cartridges, anyone have a guess as to what the caliber and chamber is for this gun? The cases are way longer that 45/70 or /90. Is it a .50 cal? If so, it too is much longer than 50/90. My guess is, this guy is actually in the later buffalo hunting era sometime well after 1877 (when 45/90 became available)? I am no expert for sure. maybe someone can help clarify.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

Good point Axel. I am no expert either. The description came from the - Link Borland Collection - I believe unless someone else add their own description to the photo. Any additional information is always welcome folks.

Shotgun

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:30 pm 

Thats a Bridgeport rifle so post 1876 at least.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:21 pm 

I would agree with Yellowstone.....and Ken....'76 or later because Bridgeport Schnabel forend .....and if I had to guess on cartridges I'd say 45-2 7/8 "45-110" 1876, or possibly 45-120/125 introduced in late '78 or early '79

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:58 am 

Possibly a 40-90 SBN but I would agree with Mule Man, looks to be 45 2 7/8 too me.

Sarge

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:12 pm 

Agreeing with me is always a good thing!!!! :lol: .........all the more reason to welcome you here Sarge! 8-)

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:38 pm 

Many thanks! I hate it took me so long to get here. I enjoy this stuff very much.
Sarge

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:24 pm 

Welcome Sarge.....hope you enjoy the group......Gobs of great info in the "archives" (messages....lol)

Creek

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:27 pm 

Sarge wrote:
Many thanks! I hate it took me so long to get here. I enjoy this stuff very much.
Sarge

I have to say of those historical boards still remaining in the "face" of Face Book......this has become my favorite and Steve has done a great job and the atmosphere here is most enjoyable!

Sarge, does your handle come from life experience or interest in "plains military"....or both? If I.W. military reenactments is your gig......let me know. I have done a 9th Cav officer in the past.

Report this post