Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Django: Unchained
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm 

Howdy!

Oh alright.... A "Southerner" rather than a "Western." :)

I post this with the Disclaimer that I am not NOT looking for History in this movie! But, trailers and previews are floaitng aorund, and a few guns have caught my eye. Besides, any time I do not see brtass framed Col tNAvy's or worse yet brass framed M1863 REmington's... a breathe a bit easier even in a "fun" movie with no historical pretenses.

:) :)

Django seems to favor, a M1851 Colt Navy and a M1863 Remington Army. Dr. Schultz favors a '63 Remington.

Django favors a M1863 (?) sporterized Sharps carbine:

Django then falls victim to a bogus Remington "Cattleman" carbine:

And Dr. Shultz favors an iron-mounted Henry Rifle:

Django and Schultz use 1865/88 Remington Double Derringers but with the modern ventilated rib Cobra lookalikes:

And I see some P1856 Enfield Cavalry carbines among Don "Big Daddy' Johnson's henchmen:

Movie Goer Mick

Last edited by Moby Mick on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Django: Unchained
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 am 
Site Admin

I think it will be a good movie and I will enjoy it if I just watch it for its entertainment value.

Shotgun

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:05 am 

I'll be watching it too in the spirit of good fun not a history lesson. After all, I guess most of us started reenacting / learning and doing Living History, when there was no such thing as a authentic Western!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:59 pm 

Howdy!

Saw it yesterday...

Firstly, I do not like to recommend or"unrecommend" movies because like food and clothing, we all have our personal likes and dislikes. :)

On my critical scale, I "liked" it and would give it a "B-."

With being a Spoiler, it is essentially, IMHO, a revisit or remake of the Sergio Leone "Spaghetti Western" genre of the 1960's but with the
screaming agonies of Tarantino style volcanic blood eruption packs from entrance wounds. And probably a bit too much Modern Swearing. Plus I think Tarantino has a thing for the "N Word" as he uses it about 10,000 times and at times seems added just to have it pop up with every 3-4 words.

:)

The story takes place in 1858 "two years" before the Civil War (I know, but that what the titles said...)_ and then into 1859. So the Spencers and Henry's are a bit early, as are the M1863 Remington Army's and Navy's. Or the Remington double derringers.

They almost made it to the end without a brass framed Remington M1863.

Nobody reloads, but they NUG run out of rounds at six.. except for the end where one shoots 12 or 13 times in a row. :)

Again, it is not very historical, other than its theme, kind of redone "The Sting." But the music score and most of the songs are straight from Leone.

As with his role as Colonel Lansa, Christoher Waltz was more than excellently brilliant as Dr. King Schutlz, the German dentist turned bounty hunter.

I was happy I saw it.

Others' mileage will vary...

Movie Time Mick

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 pm 

Outta be good entertainment. And God knows we need something !

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:48 am 

I was not impressed. Cartoonish violence and bloodshed. Very little plot.

Report this post