Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Cross Sticks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:43 am 
Site Admin

When did folks start using cross sticks as we know them to rest their guns on? Anyone have pictures of originals? Dimensions? Were they bolted together, or...? 4 or 8 sided nut? Am I over thinking this...? :P

Thanks!

:D

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Cross Sticks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:03 am 

Yes!..some bolted, some wrapped and held together with leather...........but anything will work...as long as it is period materials........also some flat and some round.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:55 am 

read somewhere, Venturino maybe, that cross sticks were not used much in hunting buffalo. Just like any game animal if they saw you they will run away. Probably more belly shooters than anything

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 pm 

I think cross sticks were definately used back in the day. Here are some quotes from "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUFFALO HUNTERS AND SKINNERS" vol. 1.

1. "Sure enough, I got to the ravine before the buffalo. I dropped down to a sitting position, set up my rest sticks, placed the
muzzle of the gun in the crotch, and was ready." pg. 138 John R. Cook
2. "Sitting down and placing my gun in the rest sticks, I drew a fine bead on him......." pg. 139 John R. Cook
3. "We used rest sticks for our guns, which weighed about 15 lbs." pg. 154 V. C. Crabb.

In some of my books there are period artworks and a photo showing rest sticks. Then like now it all depends on the cover/vegetation that you're hunting in that dictates whether you're sitting or prone. This past year I shot an antelope with my Shiloh Sharps using rest sticks from a kneeling position because the grass was so tall. Mine are the modern type that are jointed like tent poles though. :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:27 am 

Howdy!

An interesting question.

Shooting from a standing rest goes way back four or five hundred to the early days of matchlocks and arquebusses when they were "Y" shaped.

Dunno.

The period accounts support it, but I have come to believe that it is enmeshed in time, history, and lore. We read of the early an dpeak of buffalo huntr where the beasts were pretty stupid and not that fearful of humans so that if one was shot the others would mill about and sniff at until they were shot in turn? But, then we also fuss about long range rear sights as if one could to get close to them not to risk a miss on a large animal by not using cross sticks and a vernier type rear sight?

M

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:23 pm 

I think then as now guys used things to help them hit what they aimed at and sticks were a pretty simple, effective thing to do it. I'm sure everybody didn't use them but I'm equally sure they weren't rare either and they were something that could be made in the field if they were lost or broken. It's probably safe to say that most hunters probably used barrel sights but there are more than a few rifles with tang sights too still around.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:53 pm 

Here's 3 more quotes. These are in the ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUFFALO HUNTERS AND SKINNERS- E-K

1. "Rest sticks were used for the heavy guns. They were about two feet long tied together at one end, and the muzzle of the gun
was placed in the crotch formed by the crossed sticks." Seth Hathaway pg. 99

2. "To get within rifle range meant to get within range of the leader, and then the hunter rested his fourteen pound Sharp rifle on a
rest stick or on his knee." Henry Herron pg. 120

3. "One morning as I was shooting, a man on horseback came riding toward me. He saw my gun lying in the rest sticks and, pulling
out a white cloth, waived it to me to let me know he meant to be friendly." Martin Hornecker pg. 129

There's no doubt to me that rest sticks were common back in the day. I think most times these guys just didn't think some things were worth mentioning because they thought they were common practice. Wiping sticks were used too but there's not much about those either. In the earlier thread called Man skinning a buffalo the photo is an enlargement of a portion of a photo. In the whole image there's a Sharps leaning against a buffalo with a wiping stick protruding from the muzzle.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 am 

There is a note some where in my documentation that the Hawken Bros shop pre-1860 was offering cross sticks.

Also there are references from the 1840's about shooters using their wiping stick as a rest - Ruxton is just one source.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Chuck, that's great! I need to make up a set of cross sticks to use with my Hawken. :-D

You can winter with the Crow

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:43 am 

Josh Wilson wrote:
Chuck, that's great! I need to make up a set of cross sticks to use with my Hawken. :-D

I use two 1/2" wooden dowels tapered and sharpened at one end wrapped near the other end with rawhide lacing. They actually work in keeping my gun steady for shooting buffalo silhouettes at 400-500 yards (see photo below) I had to treat mine with linseed oil to keep them from cracking in our dry West Texas climate.

HankbobImage

Lubbock, Texas

Last edited by hankbob on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post