Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Buffalo hunters and skinners
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:53 pm 

Is anyone doing a buffalo hunter or skinner persona that would care to share their pics or info/research on the rifles/calibers.......accoutrements...knives ...dress...etc ?? Thanx in advance.

Creek

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Buffalo hunters and skinners
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:38 pm 

Creek

I'll try and help you out.............is this something you are wanting to do yourself?
Do you already own a rifle?...that might nail down the specific years of your persona.....otherwise what era do you want to do?...i.e. early prior to 1860's a hunter was likely armed with a big bore plains rifle like a Hawken. Post Civil War a 50-70 Sharps or Springfield would be a good choice. 1870's various .45 and .50 caliber guns......later than that there is whole variations of Sharps/Ballard/Remington rifles in a number of straight cased cartridges as well as bottleneck long range rounds i.e. "44-90 BN" and others which the hunters were forced to go to as the herds thinned out and shot distances became longer......in other words the buffalo hunting era lasted from the 1830's to the 1880's so all manner of dress, weapons and equipment were used over the 50 year period. ;)

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:36 am 

Also Creek....a skinner and a hunter were likely too different critters. A one or two man operation might do both jobs but would kill much less animals at a time........killing was easy.....skinning was a lot of hard work.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:35 pm 

I'm with you on the answers Doug.....thanx.

I was wondering if someone who does a hunter or skinner persona would share some pics or some of their thoughts on why they decided to do it early....middle.... or late eras. Rifle they already had or wanted...etc. Some ideas on the gear they have come up with.

Have been redoing a New York State Militia rolling block in 45/70 and thought maybe I would do a 70's hunter outfit to go with it.
You can always get some ideas from others......things you haven't of....etc.

Creek

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:06 pm 

Creek.......wow....since you got s real piece of history, I'd build a persona around the rifle....i.e. how did a N.Y. militia rifle get out to buffalo country? Did the owner of the gun.....abscond with it....deserting his militia unit? If so would he wear a mixture of militia clothing with civilian......I.e. maybe militia trousers...or coat without trim? Jefferson boots? Once out west.....acquire a broad brimmed hat...may be a handmade leather or canvas cartridge belt...or would he still have a militia cartridge box?

There are a bizzilian different ways to go so that a "70's buffalo hunter" doesn't look cookie cutter or uniformed..............yes, it would be great if there are some others already portraying buffalo hunters of one sort or another. :D

Doug

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:24 pm 

Howdy!

I portray a buffalo hunter, early on say circa 1872 and later circa 1878. A pard does teh same. And a third pard portrays a buffalo hunter "camp keeper."

NOT to make a universal Statement, but in brief and over-generalizing a bit... there often was a "hierarchy" between shooters and the skinners.

Let's see, Show-n-Tell.

This is "Stubby"s" restored original Springfield .50-70 M1868 Rifle. Such 'surplus" arm were popular among men with not enough money to buy an expensive or custom-made rifle. (or in the early days, before the "high priced" factory Sharps ad Remington became available.)

This is my sporterized Springfield .50-70 M1870 Rifle. Rifles were a personal choice, and even men of money or means often used military "surplus" ' at times. Custer had one.

Here two of my rigs:

m

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:33 pm 

Howdy!

Here I am with our camp keeper, Kansas Bud Wilson:

Alas I have no piggers of Stubby.

m

Last edited by Moby Mick on Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:37 pm 

Hallo!

Yeah, I know....

Too CLEAN!

(In my defense they were new impressions...)

:) :)

m

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:16 pm 

:D Mick

Awesome!.......Lloyd has a couple trap door barreled actions that went "through the fire".....which I think he has plans for but I would love to sporterize a Springfield in 50-70. I so appreciate you adding the photos.....and giving a visual image of a period hunter.....like only you can do! :D

The Spencer...is it original or one of those nifty repros?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:10 pm 

Howdy!

Thank 'e!

The Spencer was a Larry Romano as at the time the Italians had not come out with theirs yet.

I had a decent original, and would have committed the Mortal Sin of restoring it, but THE Ohio State University "took" it from me for my daughter's education.

:) :)

m

Report this post