Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Bennie the Gentle Giant
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:57 pm 

Howdy!

Crappy day today.

This morning I learned that Bennie, (Benny Beloved) the Amish rescue Saddlebred horse, that I learned to ride on... died while I was in New Zealand.

He was anesthetized for dental work, and did not wake up.

Bennie stood 17.5, and had been rescued from the Amish where he had been starved to a skeleton and also beaten with 2 X 4's.
A few years ago. Bennie had developed a fungus infection in his neck and could not swallow eat. The vets at the vet college at Ohio State cut a feeding tube into his neck by-passing his throat. We fed him a watery gruel mix through the tube. It took love, patience, and time, but he recovered.

Bennie befriended, BFF'd, a very small rescue horse, a Haflinger named Buster who lived in the stall across from his. They always played together. Bennie was a slobberer, and Buster always came back from paddock-time slimed from one end to the other.

m

Post subject: Re: Bennie the Gentle Giant
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:07 pm 

Condolences Mick.......I have only lost one horse, but sadly he was my favorite and it fell upon me to dispatch him after he fell and broke his hip and couldn't get up.........I cried like a baby over the grief. He was my "physical salvation" after my accident and my "legs" that allowed me to continue on in my love of the Rocky Mountain wildernesses. While I was still recovering and with weakened legs he bucked me off 9 times before a long grueling trip in the Bridger Teton Wilderness settled him right down and he became my best friend.

Here's to Bennie and Dodger!

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:00 pm 

My condolences gentlemen. The limited time I've had with horses, I can understand the bond that would build.

Creek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:53 pm 

Creek............it was a long time ago for me....much more relevant for Mick. Dog's and horses.......difficult to loose our furry friends!

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:32 pm 

Howdy!

The Lakota (Sioux) word for "horse" is shunka wakan (big dog, sometimes mystery dog).

Aye, they can be like big dogs. :)

I fell off of Bennie on my third lesson. It IS 'further" to the ground off a 17.5 horse... :)

Despite being severely abused and neglected, Bennie never harbored a grudge or fear of humans. He loved little kids, and somehow knew or watched out for them whether on his back or in his regular size stall while being groomed or tacked/untacked.

m

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:27 pm 

Mick...what a beautiful animal......rare for a horse not to have issues after being abused. Abused mules usually never recover and can be dangerous. We had a little molly that was so head shy it was a real task to put a halter or bridle over her ears. I looked at buying a 19 1/2 hand tall Belgium gelding.......so cool....but would have been impossible to get on without a ladder..........for me anyway.

Will you get another mount?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:33 pm 

Beautiful mount Mick.
Cool Doug.....would have been like a 1800's monster truck for you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:03 pm 

Howdy!

"Will you get another mount?"

No, I am done with horses, and when 14 year old "Puppy" (Pupperoni) my long-haired Dachshund dies, no more dogs either.

Sigh.

Although I would not mind a different kind of mount. Either a WWII tank or a WWI biplane. But either is not "likely."

:) :)

m
Who grieves in time, but mourns forever, Posse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:56 pm 

"no more dogs either."........yep....we've been saying the same thing about dogs.....and yet.....my yearling bloodhound....lays at my feet snoring! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:58 pm 

Howdy!

"Use the Force, Luke."

:) :)

m