Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Any Mountain Man Stuff On Here?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:21 pm 

Hey everyone. Was just wondering if there was anything on mountain men & the day-to-day stuff they did on this site? I figure there's probably some mix & match when it comes to this, since people would at least do some of the same things while on the trail (or "on the lamb," ha ha). I figure there would probably be a lot of overlap in basic equipment, so I'm wondering a bit more on the "daily doings."

Another thing that I've been wondering is how did they learn languages? I figure learning languages from different tribes would have been important & how they actually learned them is never really elaborated.

Post subject: Re: Any Mountain Man Stuff On Here?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:31 pm 

Since the board covers "1830-1885" there's actually quite a bit of weapons and some gear that Steve and others have posted...i.e. "Plunder of the Plainsmen". There is certainly some cross over from trapping beaver to scouting to buffalo hunting to serving as guides...etc. Kit Carson was a young trapper...became a guide for the military under Col Kearny and Freemont. Later became a Union officer. John Johnston went from the military to trapper to scout to marshal. Jim Bridger from trapper to guide and trading post sutler (if I remember correctly).

Once again you sorta have to have a starting point or an individual or type and proceed from there. There are numerous books that give biographies, stories or others that cover the equipment, clothing, weapons etc. The several volumes of "Book of Buckskining" is extremely helpful. "The Shining Time" sketch book series might help a bit with cross over covering trappers, hunters, scouts to military....I think from about the fur trade to the end of the 1850's.
What Steve has provided here is a good resource for various aspects of the frontier from 1830-1885. But most that come here have already nailed down the impression or the the specific history they are interested in.

So...yes there is Mountain Man stuff here.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Last edited by Mule Man on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:36 pm 

As to languages most often if they knew a language it was normally cause they lived or traded among them.....the most important language was "sign language". :D

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:45 pm 

So which books are good as far as details on activity? I notice A LOT of books only reference the activities or skills, but don't get into what that actually consisted of. I'd be interested in things that really get into trapping & fishing, as I don't consider myself knowledgeable about those things & also any of the "logistical" stuff (ex: making the clothes, making the stuff to make the clothes, making soap, etc...).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:11 pm 

You just described "The Book Of Buckskinning"
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ckskinning

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:36 pm 

The old....Foxfire..... series of books had a lot of good "old time" southern mountain skilis....cabin building....soap making...tanning...knife makin...gun building ( House brothers)....lots of good background info.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:01 pm 

Yep...Creek you're correct.....actually some of the first books I ever got on "craft".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:08 pm 

.............that's such a great hat and coat!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:07 pm 

Thank ya Sir.........THAT coat just sets the hat right off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 pm 

Wolfeye....
I don't know if the old American Mountain Man Association is still in business or not.
If you can track them down, it would be a good place to dig up some info.
I was one of the earlier members of the American Long Rifle assoc. You had to research...document and manufacture ALL of your own gear. And make a bullet proof persona. Even make your own colonial ( buckle) shoes at the higher levels.

Several members of the ALRA were consultants, teachers and actors in The Last Of The Mohicans movie.

You may not like organizations, but a good one can be a huge help.

Creek