Home of the Plainsmen -1830 to 1885-

Climb down off your horse, have some coffee and share some news about the trail!
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to lastoftheplainsmen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: A Model 1879 Cartridge Belt , Prairie Belt Style
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Tan canvas body, 2-9/16 inches wide, 43 inches in length, 10-3/4 inch leather tongue. Three brass rings. Marked WATERVLIET ARSENAL and A.R.SMITH on one side of tongue and the inspector’s initials J. G(?) . on other side.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: A Model 1879 Cartridge Belt , Prairie Belt Style
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:23 am 

Here's mine! "Fair weather Christian prairie belt" made by Hank Kluin for my '78/'79 9th Cav Officer's impression.

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:28 am 

I made this Prairie Belt a few years back.. Being poor, instead of buying things, I make them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:29 am 

Lloyd.............I don't believe you.......you'd make it if you owned Tandy Leather Factory Co and 200 illegals to make it for you. :lol:

"Nope!....If I gotta choose.....I'll ride the mule and pack the horse!" WD Bennett

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:50 pm 

Are you sure that's not a model '76?

H

Steve wrote:

Tan canvas body, 2-9/16 inches wide, 43 inches in length, 10-3/4 inch leather tongue. Three brass rings. Marked WATERVLIET ARSENAL and A.R.SMITH on one side of tongue and the inspector’s initials J. G(?) . on other side.

Lubbock, Texas

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:34 pm 

Yes that is considered a model 1876 cartridge belt type 4 with the rings

Attachments:
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG [ 516.11 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:22 pm 

45Govt

Are the rings for saber slings?.......on second look, they're not far enough apart. I'm not familiar enough with infantry equipment.......but again not spaced far enough for braces.......help me out here?????? :o

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:59 pm 

Mule Man wrote:
45Govt

Are the rings for saber slings?.......on second look, they're not far enough apart. I'm not familiar enough with infantry equipment.......but again not spaced far enough for braces.......help me out here?????? :o

Mule Man

The rings were for the 1878 triangular bayonet scabbard and the 1878 trowel bayonet scabbard
Here is my triangular bayonet 1878 scabbard

Attachments:
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG [ 196.81 KiB | Viewed 1408 times ]

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:19 am 

Of course....that's make sense......what little knowledge I have is mostly about cavalry.......mostly pre-Civil War.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:51 pm 

As said, the OP is a Pattern 1876, Third Type, Prairie Belt with the 1879 Infantry Modification. Because the
Army was in such a hurry to finalize design and deploy this Belt, they apparently overlooked the fact that there was no adopted pattern holster in use with a loop large enough to slide over the Pattern 1876 Belt. Hence the various experimental modifications to the Belt through the early 1880's. These belts remained in use until the Mills Belts, including the Pattern 1885 Prairiie Beit, and the Pattern 1881, third type, Holster were deployed, which solved the problem.

Until then the Cavalry intended the Pattern 1876 Belt to be used with the Sabre Belts, holsters and 45 Colt ammo boxes/pouches in use during this period. Of course the troops did not want to wear two belt rigs if one would do, especially in the high temperature frontier. So many unofficial field modifications were made to these Pattern 1876 Belts (and holsters) to accommodate holsters and related accouterments. Thus unmolested examples of this belt are difficult to find today.

Pictured below is a Pattern 1876 Prairie Belt in unaltered condition shown with a Pattern 1872 Metcalf Belt rig, including a type II Pattern 1881 Holster, a Colt Factory restored Ainsworth Cavalry and period ammunition.

Report this post